Chapter Twelve

Tom POV

I watched as she looked up at the building helplessly.

"Wait Flick, before you go in there I need to tell you something" I said taking Flick's hand. Desperate not to lose her for who she used to be. Flick turned to look at me and she was close to tears.

"Flick I need you to know that you have many people who care about you. Your family, Charlie, Zawe and me. We all care for you Flick and you will always have me by your sideno matter what. Infact, I love you Flick."

I watched as Flick stared at me as realisation hit her. She didn't say a word instead just pulled me closer before kissing me. A kiss that melted my heart. As we pulled apart she looked at me giving me a thankful smile and turned and walked into the building and that was it now I just had to wait. I just had to wait to see what kind of Flick would be coming back to me.

I had made a promise to her brother Jack that I would look after her but how could I look after her when I had sent her alone into the lions den. The two of them could possibly rip her apart in there and here I was stood outside not protecting her.

I didn't have long to wait at all. Flick had probably only been in there ten minutes before she came back out. She was upbeat with a wide smile on her face. Not what I had expected at all. In fact it surprised me to see her like this. Although I wished it wouldn't happen I really expected the empty shell back. That was what this man seemed to do to Flick and I had worried that seeing him again would do it all over again.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" I asked as she took my hand and began to lead me away.

"I will do but first to find some food. I'm starving!" Flick replied.

"How about we grab some food and head to my house" I suggested. "Less people to stare then."

"Deal" Flick replied.

Flick was upbeat most of the way back to my house in Hampstead. The tube was busy so we separated for the journey and I caught people taking my photograph a couple of times. At least they weren't the press but I was sure they would be on social media pretty soon. We stopped at a burger restaurant close to my house and grabbed some food to take away. I knew it wouldn't be as good as Jack's food but it would satisfy our hunger.

My house felt strangely empty to me without the usual sight of my dog Bobby to come and greet me as we arrived, but as I was suppose to be in New York he was currently with my Mum in Sussex. I missed him but I knew he would be being spoilt to death by my family over the next six months.

"So are your finally going to put me out of my misery?" I asked as we sat down with our food. The suspense really was now beginning to kill me.

"Well as we stood outside the apartment building. I was terrified. I didn't have a clue what I was going to say. I still didn't know how I felt about him and I was scared seeing him would bring back some of my old feelings. I knew it was something I had to do if I ever wanted to move on from that part of my life but I was scared" Flick began.

"I could tell" I replied as I moved closer to Flick and wrapped my arm around her shoulders for reassurance.

"But then you told me something I hadn't realised that I needed to hear. You reminded me how good my life is now since all this happened. You showed me how I am enjoying my new life in New York with you, Jack and Casey, Charlie and Zawe. You reminded my how it felt to be loved again and all this wouldn't have happened if they hadn't cheated on me. Yeah I had to go through a very bad time first but I would not have gone to New York and met you if it weren't for them. So I actually just walked up to their apartment. It took a couple of minutes for me to knock on their door but when Lewis answered the door I actually thanked him. I thanked him for making my life so much better and wished him all the best for the rest of his life. The look on his face was priceless." Flick finished.

I stared at Flick in shock taking in her words. I really hadn't expected that. There was me worried I would get the Flick I first met back as she left but instead my Flick remained.

"Wow" was the only thing I could find to say.

"Now that I have had that closure, I also just want to say that I acknowledge what you said to me outside that building and I know that I didn't return it" Flick began.

"You don't have to worry about that" I interrupted her remembering that I had told her that I loved her.

"No I need to say this" Flick continued. "I know that I didn't return it but I want you to know that that isn't because I don't feel the same way. What has happened to me in the last six months has been huge and I certainly didn't expect to meet someone so soon after, especially you. You are so special to me and I don't want to rush that. Your declaration couldn't have come at a more crucial moment for me but I want to be ready to return it. I just want you to know that it will come. I promise you that."

I pulled Flick closer to me turning her face to me with my fingers before we placed our lips together. This girl was the world to me.

***

We stayed the night at my house in London. I showed Flick through to my spare room and when we both woke we knew that our lives in New York could not wait much longer so we had managed to get ourselves booked onto flights from Heathrow Airport that afternoon. I was excited to get back to New York but I also knew that once we got back we would both be busy and I had enjoyed this alone time with Flick even if the start of it had been extremely stressful.

"Yes I will be back in town this afternoon" I confirmed with Jamie over the phone as we prepared to leave for the airport. He wasn't best pleased with me at the moment for leaving the city so suddenly right before we opened the play and I was unable to give him the real reason why. He seemed pleased to hear I was on my way back though.

"That's great news" Jamie replied. "We have a press call scheduled at the theatre for the tomorrow. I was beginning to think you would miss it."

I took a sigh of relief at the news. I would really have been in trouble if I had missed that. "No I will definitely be there I promise."

"Are you in trouble" Flick asked once I came off the phone. She had been to see her parents quickly this morning before we had had to leave for the airport and she had arrived back midway through my phone call.

"No not yet anyway" I replied with a sigh. "I will be back just in time."

"Thank you for coming with me to London though. I don't know what I would have done without you." Flick replied.

"No worries" I replied as I pulled Flick into my arms. There would have been no way I would have seen her come back here on her own even if the play had already started. She was too precious to me now.

Our flight landed in New York in the evening and as soon as our taxi had arrived in Hell's Kitchen we had said our goodbyes to each other outside Jack's apartment before separating to go to our beds. The jet lag and the travelling from the last forty eight hours was exhausting.

I had text Zawe and Charlie as I had reached my hotel to let them know that I was back but they must have known that I was exhausted so they didn't come to my room and as I dropped my bag at the end of my bed I just stripped down to my boxers and climbed into bed. I must have been asleep as my head hit my pillow.