Chapter Fifteen

Tom POV

The day of our first night on Broadway had arrived. We had rehearsed as much as we could and now we were all just ready to get out on that stage and meet our new audiences. Tonight was going to be even more special as Flick was going to be in the audience. She had wanted to see the play as soon as possible so I had got tickets for her and Casey. I had offered to get Jack one too but he had insisted that he would have to stay at the diner but had promised he would get there before our run was over. It was amazing how his attitude had changed towards me since I had gone to London with Flick. It had never been bad towards me but he had always been cautious of me and I had always respected his warnings. After all we had something in common. We both cared deeply for Flick. But since we had got back from London he would treat me more like a brother. He had even invited us all back to the diner later after the play when the diner was going to be closed and he was going to put a bit of a first night celebration on for us.

"Ten minutes till curtain" came the announcement backstage. I pulled on my navy jacket which formed part of my costume and made sure that my characters wedding ring was on my finger before leaving my dressing room.

"You all set?" One of the assistants asked as she rushed past me carrying the book prop that Charlie would need to conceal in his jacket before coming on stage.

"I think so" I called after her.

I made my way to the side of the stage where Jamie and Zawe were already waiting.

"Can't believe I am so nervous" Zawe said to me as I arrived. "I have done this play loads of times before."

"You will be fine" I replied with a nervous smile as Charlie joined us.

"Right you three, break a leg" Jamie said enthusiastically as we each took our positions on stage ready for the curtain to rise.

My heart began to beat quickly as I thought about the fact that Flick would be on the other side of that curtain right now about five rows from the front waiting for the performance to begin. Of course I had had friends, family and previous girlfriends watch me on stage before but this time I was nervous. I really wanted to impress Flick tonight.

***

That was it. The first show was completed. We were now started into our seventeen week run on Broadway. I headed backstage after our bows and headed to my dressing room to change before heading to stage door. I closed my eyes to remember the memory of what I had just seen. As we had done our bows I had specifically looked out into the audience and found her. She looked so happy as we caught eye contact with each other and as I smiled I noticed that she was probably cheering the loudest out of the whole audience. I loved that girl for exactly who she was.

A knock came on my open dressing room door and I looked up to see one of our backstage crew there.

"You have some visitors" he said before stepping back to reveal Flick and Casey. They were both smiling at me but Flick just blew me away. She looked beautiful. Her hair was loose and hung down her shoulders and she was wearing a knee length black dress. She had a wide smile on her face and her eyes could tell you exactly how happy she was at this current moment as she ran forward and threw her arms around me.

"Tom you were amazing! That has to be the best play I have ever seen" she squealed holding me close to her.

"I'm so glad you enjoyed it Flick" I replied placing a light kiss to her head inhaling her amazing scent. I loved this girl.

"Congratulations on an amazing first night" Casey said once Flick had stepped back from me.

"Thanks Casey. It's been unreal" I replied as I then too hugged her.