Chapter Sixteen

Flick POV

Betrayal had been in previews for nearly a week now and Tom had been working hard but we had managed to settle into a routine. Jack had kindly worked my rota around Tom's performances so I now mainly did the night shifts at the diner giving Tom and I mornings together. Tom and Bobby had also set up residence in Jack and Casey's house with Tom staying over most evenings. I had been worried at first what would happen once the play started. Would we be able to still see each other? Would our relationship then be able to survive that strain but we were making it work and it was working well.

Tom had let it slip earlier in the week that it was Bobby's second birthday today so as a surprise for Tom and the entire cast I was planning a party for them. Earlier in the week I had been to a party store and bought as many dog related decorations and then today I just had to collect the cake. I had arranged with Jack to do the breakfast shift at the diner so I would have to afternoon to do all this at the theatre before their evening performance. I just hoped that I could pull this surprise off.

I had left Tom in bed this morning as I had left early for my breakfast shift. It was just me and Jack for now and then Casey would be coming later to take over from me to allow me to head to the theatre.

"So are you all set for today?" Jack asked as I brought over one of the first orders for the day.

"Yes I think so" I replied "I just need to collect the cake later. I just hope everyone likes it."

"Flick everyone is going to love it. Don't worry about that" Jack replied reassuringly.

Once my shift was done at two I said goodbye to Jack and Casey and caught a taxi downtown to the bakery I had ordered the cake from. Having only being able to describe to the baker what I wanted over the phone I hoped that they had managed to achieve what I had asked for.

The taxi pulled up outside the bakery and I payed the driver before stepping out. Since moving to New York I hadn't yet been to this area of Manhattan before so it was unfamiliar to be but I had read great reviews so chosen the place.

The bakery was decorated in an old fashion style and as I stepped in I was greeted by a friendly lady.

"Hello, I am here to collect a cake I have ordered" I said once she had greeted me.

"Ah the cake for Bobby?" She asked before disappearing into the back of the store. She came back out carrying a large box. I had had to order a large cake to ensure that there would be enough cake for the whole cast and crew. She placed the cake on the counter and lifted the lid. Inside was a large rectangular white iced cake which had been decorated with blue piped icing and the words Happy Birthday Bobby. Then around the outside of the cake were paw prints. It was perfect.

"And the cake inside is lemon like you asked for" the lady said as I looked back at her.

"Thank you, it looks amazing" I replied taking the large box from her.

It was a bit harder once back outside to hail a cab this time with a large cake box in my hand but I managed it and was soon in the back of a taxi on my way to the theatre. Zawe knew about my plan and she text me as we got close to the theatre to let them know Tom and Charlie were now in her dressing room. I hadn't wanted Tom to see me arrive so Zawe had agreed to distract him so that I could set the cake up without him knowing. I replied to her thanking her and letting her know that I was nearly there.

Backstage at the theatre was pretty quite when I arrived but I found the table Zawe had described to me and I placed the cake down. Pulling my bag off my back I lifted out all the dog related party decor I had been able to find and began to decorate the table. The last thing I had to do was place the number two candle into the cake and unwrap the bone I had bought for Bobby from it's packaging. Once this was done I sent Zawe a quick text to say I was ready and then I just had to wait. Tom would be coming through here any minute.

My heart was beating loudly in excitement and nervousness as I waited as I really didn't know how Tom would react. Bobby was like Tom's child and Tom adored him and I wanted to do this for Tom as much as for Bobby partly as a thank you for everything he had ever done for me.

I heard footsteps approaching and then they stopped as Tom walked around the corner and stopped before me. He looked confused as he was obviously not expecting me and then his expression went to shock as he noticed the table. He was holding Bobby's lead and Bobby was scrambling about excitedly trying to get to me.

"You did this?" Tom asked referring to the table.

"Happy Birthday Bobby!" I said enthusiastically as Tom took long strides over to me before pulling me into a hug. Bobby beside us jumping up excitedly at our legs.

"This is so considerate. Thank you" Tom whispered as he held me.

"You like it then?" I asked.

"I love it" Tom replied.

By now the rest of the cast and crew had begun to gather and had begun to sing Happy Birthday to Bobby. Tom and I began to join in whilst Bobby sat between us his tail wagging excitedly. Tom wrapped his arm around me pulling me close to him and placed a kiss to my head whilst everybody began to look at the cake.

Later that evening I was sat at the side of the stage. Everyone had enjoyed the cake and now the cast had gone to prepare for the show this evening. I had been planning to head back to Jack's house till Jamie had told me that I was welcome to watch from the side of stage. I hadn't had anything to rush home to do So I had gratefully accepted.

Just before the show was about to begin Tom came over dressed in his costume for the play.

"You ready?" I asked as Tom sat beside me for a moment.

"Pretty much?"Tom replied.

"The audience sounds like a good one tonight" I commented. Whilst I had been sat at the side to the side of the stage I had been able to hear the crowd arriving. They had all sounded excited for what they were about to see.

"It should be a great show then" Tom replied brightly.

"Break a leg Tom" I said pulling Tom into a hug.

"Thank you Flick" Tom replied. He gave me a quick kiss before heading out onto the stage to get ready for the play to start with Zawe and Charlie.