Chapter Eleven

Tom POV

It was the day following that amazing kiss. The day following me finally finding the courage to tell Flick how I was feeling and it had paid off. Of course I would take things as slow as Flick wanted like she had asked. She was so special to me that I wouldn't ever want to pressure her.

I had thanked Zawe and Charlie for their advice they had given me yesterday as soon as I had arrived at the theatre and they had both been so happy for me. I just felt like I was floating on cloud nine at the moment.

We were just finishing up with the daily rehearsals at the theatre and I returned to my dressing room. As a rule whenever rehearsing I would leave my phone here so it wouldn't be a distraction but as I checked it I noticed that I had five missed calls from Flick. Quickly pressing call back I held my phone to my ear waiting for her to answer.

"Hello" Flick's voice answered. She sounded weak as though she had been crying a lot.

"Flick is everything okay. I'm sorry I missed your calls" I replied desperate to know why she was so upset.

"Can you meet me at the diner?" She asked.

"Of course" I replied already grabbing my bag as I ran from my dressing room. "I am on my way now."

She was sat in a booth when I arrived with Jack sat beside her his arms wrapped around her shoulders as she looked down into her lap. Her fingers nervously pulling at the skin around her finger nails. As Jack noticed my arrival I heard him whisper to Flick "Tom's here" before shuffling out of his seat to allow me to sit beside Flick.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't be here sooner" I said as I sat beside her taking her hand in mine. She looked up to look at me and her eyes were filled with tears.

"What's wrong? What's happened" I asked my heart ached with Flick's pain. Fear spread through my body as I though to myself had I done this to her. Had I pushed her too far yesterday and now here she was about to tell me she never wanted to see me again. My stomach turned with unease at the thought.

She moved her gaze back to the table in front of us as she handed me her phone. She had Facebook loaded and there was currently a picture on her screen posted by a Lewis Fletcher of a man, woman and new born baby with the caption Finally my family is complete. As I stared confused at what I was looking at I noticed the hundreds of likes and comments congratulating them and then it hit me like a brick.

"Is this your ex-fiancé" I asked indicating to the phone.

Flick nodded as a fresh tear ran down her cheek. Anger boiled up inside me. It didn't take an idiot to realise that Flick's best friend was already pregnant when her ex had left Flick.

"I want to go back to England" Flick said her response completely shocking me.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. "I thought you wanted to make your fresh start here in New York?"

"I do" Flick replied "but I am stronger now and I need to confront this. I need answers from them both before I will be able to fully move on from this. I will only have to go back for a few days but this is something I need to do."

"Well I will come with you" I blurt out before I could really think. There was no way I could let Flick do this on her own. She had been through enough on her own already.

"But what about the play?" Flick asked as she tried to wipe her tears from her eyes.

"The play will be fine. We have a week till the first show. As long as I am back before then it will be okay. I'll speak to Jamie" I replied hoping that Jamie would be as understanding as I was trying to make out to Flick. I hoped that if I spoke to Zawe and Charlie first they would be able to help me speak to him and calm him down.

"There is a plane in five hours to London from JFK and I plan to be on it" Flick said as she tried to get herself together.

"We will be on it together" I replied taking her hand in mine and squeezing it to show her that everything was going to be okay.

***

The next five hours were a complete blur, from phoning Zawe to Charlie and then to Jamie to explain what was going on to then rushing to my hotel to pack a small bag for a few days to then jumping in a taxi across New York to get to JFK airport tin time get through security just ready for boarding. My stress levels were at their maximum as I tried to keep my head down and my eyes peeled for photographers as we crossed through the airport. I really did not need for this to be Flick's first experience of the media.

Flick slept through most of the flight to London completely exhausted after the emotions of the day. I was wide awake. I tried to watch some of the films provided by the airline but I wasn't really paying attention to any of them. My constant thoughts were clouding my head. I know this trip was what Flick wanted to do but it worried me. What if this trip wasn't good for Flick. What if it made her go back to how she was? That empty shell sat in an airport? Jack had tried to argue with her not to go but she had been so stubborn in her decision that I had to support her and join her on her trip. I think Jack had been relieved to hear that she wouldn't be alone. I also didn't know what would happen if I saw her ex-fiancé. I was not the violent type of person, not in the slightest bit I couldn't help but feel anger and hatred at the thought of him and what if I decided to show him those emotions physically?

As the pilot announced that we would shortly be landing in London I woke Flick ready for us leaving the plane.

"So what's the plan?" I asked as we grabbed our small bags and made our way through the airport.

"I just want to get this over with. Do you mind if we go straight there?" Flick asked as she looked at the time on her phone screen. It was ten in the morning here in London and I knew that I was soon going to regret not trying to sleep on the plane.

I nodded to Flick as we made our way towards the tube station.

"For your sake I'm going to always be a few steps away from you as we travel across London" I whispered to Flick as we made our was to the escalators. "I do not want you to be dragged into any media scandal but don't worry I am right behind you."

I gave her hand a squeeze in encouragement as she nodded her head and I then stepped back to be walking behind her. It was a hot day in London so the journey on the tube was uncomfortable. We both sat a couple of seats away from each other both just staring into space. Not looking at anyone. My mind was still full of thoughts about what was going to happen when we got there that I nearly missed in the corner of my eye someone taking a picture of me on their phone. I sighed, it was a good job Flick and I were sat separately as that will be on social media later I bet.

We arrived at Harrow station about an hour after being on the tube network and I was really ready for some fresh air. We made our way up the stairs and I breathed in a large breath as we emerged out onto Harrow high street.

"It's this way" Flick said quietly leading to the left. I followed on beside Flick now. I could see her body tensing now and she had barely spoken a word since we had arrived in London. She no longer seemed to be my Flick anymore and I just hoped I could get her back to New York as soon as possible.

We didn't have far to walk till Flick stopped and looked at me. She had a fear in her eyes and I desperately wanted to grab her and take her straight back to the airport and on the next plane to New York but I knew that this was what Flick needed to do.

"We are here" she whispered.