Chapter Twenty Three

Flick POV

It had been three days. Three long and very painful days since I had heard Tom and Bobby leave through the front door, never to see either of them again. Of course I hadn't wanted to end our relationship with Tom. I loved him so much, I still did but I had my reasons.

I had barely been able to hold myself together once Tom had walked out of the door and Jack and Casey had returned home to find me curled up in my bed which still smelt of Tom in a fit of tears. They had of course both been concerned and Jack had immediately come to the conclusion that Tom had done something to hurt me. I am pretty sure if I hadn't been able to get the words out that I had ended things with Tom not the other way around, Jack would have been straight round to see Tom as my protective big brother. Something that I was grateful for to know that he would always have my back but I also knew that is not what Tom would need right now. He would also be hurting and that was all my fault.

I hadn't left my bedroom for three days. The smell of Tom was now beginning to slowly fade in here but every so often I would catch his scent and each time it would be just as painful. Jack had stayed at home with me and would continually check on me. Casey along with the other staff at the diner were keeping things going in our absence. I had tried to tell Jack to go to work and that I would be fine but he was having none of it. I think he was terrified about what I might do whilst on my own.

I had a million thoughts constantly churning around my head like what should I do now. I had left London to leave the painful memories behind but now I felt being in New York was just as painful. Tom's face was on posters all around the city promoting Betrayal and they would be hard to see but then Betrayal was only on till December and then Tom would probably return home to London. Would I be able to last two months with the pain of seeing his face around the city before he would finally disappear forever. New York had begun to feel like my home now and a place I had come to love but was that only because Tom was here. Would New York begin to feel different now that Tom wouldn't be in my life?

I had been napping for a couple of hours, my continuous crying was exhausting when I was awoken by whispers down the hall from my room.

"How is she doing?" I heard Zawe's voice ask.

"Not good. I am so worried about her" Jack replied. "How is Tom?"

"Not good either. He has been at comic con the last couple of days. I tried to persuade him to cancel but he didn't want to let his fans down. I know he hasn't been sleeping though and I really don't know how he is managing to stand on that stage every night without collapsing with exhaustion" Zawe replied.

I felt a pang of guilt at Zawe's words. I had been the one who had caused this. I was the person who had done this to one of the most caring and charming people on this planet. I should be disgusted with myself. I thought about texting Tom to apologise but then remembered that my phone was off and had been for days. I was too scared to turn it on for what I may be faced with.

"Has Tom suggested any reason why they may have broken up?" I heard Jack ask Zawe.

"He is clueless" Zawe replied. "It came completely out the blue for him that is why it has effected him so much. I think he could see them both being together forever and then suddenly Flick just ended it with no real explanation."

"I haven't really been able to get much from Flick either" I hear Jack reply. "Whenever I try to talk to her about it she just starts crying and then I can't really get much more out of her. All I do know is that she keeps telling me that it is not Tom's fault as though she is scared I will go and hit him of something."

I hear a low short laugh from them both before their whispers continue.

"Thanks for coming to see me though Zawe I appreciate this. Does Tom know?" Jack asked.

"No Charlie and I decided it would probably best to keep this visit to ourselves at the moment. I can understand your concern though and we want to help them both through this no matter what happens" Zawe replied.

"I just don't know what to do now Zawe" Jack replied and I could just imagine his face full off anguish as he spoke. It made me feel even worse for what I had done. Breaking up with Tom hadn't just hurt Tom, it had hurt everyone.

"I am so scared that one morning I am going to walk into her room and find her dead. What if she tries to kill herself again?" Jack asked as I heard him slide down the wall to the floor.

Inside my room I didn't know what to do. My body was full of guilt. Full of guilt for what I had done to Tom and for now the anguish and worry I was now putting onto my family and friends. I heard Zawe out in the hall slide down to sit beside Jack and I guessed she would probably have her arms around him consoling him but that should be me. It should be me out there letting my big brother know that I will be okay and he didn't need to worry except I couldn't move. Was I really ok? Even I didn't know that answer to that question.