prologue

Wanda's POV

"Babe, have you seen my bathing suit?" I yelled down the hallway, peeking my head out of the closet to better hear Jason's response.

"You threw it in the wash, remember?" He called back from the kitchen in our apartment.

We moved out of the manor six months ago, right after mine and Pietro's nineteenth birthday. Now Jason and I lived in a cozy one bedroom apartment in Happy Harbor.

Much more to what both of us were used to growing up.

Sure, I missed Pietro, but he moved out too and was living with Dick in Bludhaven, leaving Tim in the manor with Bruce. Plus, we still saw each other often with our duties to the team. Speaking of which, I now needed to dry off my bathing suit so Jason and I could meet the others at the Mountain for a beach day.

I made my way out of the bedroom and into the kitchen, pecking Jason on the cheek as he finished up making the sandwiches we were bringing to the beach. "Do you need anything while I'm down there?"

"I'm good." He smiled, kissing my forehead before I grabbed the keys to our apartment and walked out the front door.

The laundry room was only a short walk down the hall from our place so it didn't take me long to get there. I gathered our laundry and as I was putting it in the laundry basket I suddenly got the feeling I was being watched. I turned around as fast as I could, seeing a streak of green and white zip away from the door way, a vaguely familiar streak. "Tommy...?"

I ran into the hallway but Tommy was already long gone. I tried to summon him back to me but when I tried to find him I got really dizzy, as if something was blocking me from using my magic to locate him.

Cursing, I went back to gather my laundry, deciding to let the others know about the strange occurrence when I got to the Mountain.

Mount Justice

"Wanda! Jason! You made it!" M'gann yelled from halfway across the beach, running up to meet us. She tackled me in a big hug when she got to us. "How was the trip?"

I chuckled pulling out of her arms. "It was wonderful to see the old stomping grounds again. C'mon, I'll tell you all about it when everyone gets here."

"Everyone is here, you two are the last to arrive." M'gann grabbed both our hands and pulled us along at a fast pace, kicking up sand as we half ran to meet the others. "Guys, they are finally here!"

"Took you long enough." Dick grinned, hugging both of us. "How was the trip to Sokovia?"

"It was fun, I think we did a lot of good." Jason shrugged, a small smile on his face. "The people were really happy to see Wanda again."

I nudged Jason playfully, turning to see Artemis and Wally grinning widely. "You know, I don't have to be a telepath to know you have something big to tell us. So, what is it love birds?"

Artemis turned to Wally, her grin getting bigger. "Can I say it?"

"Of course."

Artemis kissed Wally's cheek before looking back at the group, now having all of our attention. "Well, since our families already know, we figured we would let you guys know next since you are our closest friends." Artemis slipped her hand in Wally's. "We're having a baby!"

"What?! Oh my gosh, congratulations!" We all yelled variations of the same thing, taking turns gently hugging Artemis. "How far along are you?"

"Three months."

"Wally, you dog, the wedding was only four months ago!" Roy slapped Wally on the back.

In the midst of the excitement, my news of seeing Tommy completely slipped my mind as we fell into conversation of whether they wanted a boy or a girl, baby names, if they have started getting a nursery ready, etc.

"Have you gone for any tests yet?" I asked Artemis as she sipped her water, the guys having gone off to play frisbee while Artemis, M'gann, and I stayed back to discuss more baby stuff.

"I have an ultrasound in a week, just to make sure everything is still healthy." She bit into a sandwich, staring at Wally. "How did I get so lucky?"

"Girl, have you met yourself? You are a catch."

We spent the rest of the afternoon discussing the possibilities of her future with Wally and their unborn child, none of us noticing our spy until it was too late.

Maybe if we just turned around and looked back at the mountain, we could have avoided the following turmoil.

Tommy's POV

I knew trying to see Wanda was a mistake, a mistake that could cost me my life. Or worse, my soul.

But I had to leave her bread crumbs, I had to.

I knew the Justice League and the team had been keeping tabs on us since the whole debacle with Billy and Thanos, and I knew Klarion figured it out recently, too. I'm not stupid.

So Wanda would not be able to track me, but hopefully she would mention me to the team. That's why I followed her and Jason to the mountain. And that's how I found out Artemis is pregnant and knew right then that I missed my chance.

Wanda would forget about seeing me and Klarion would figure out that one twin is missing and come looking, so I had to do something to get the attention of the League and make sure I can't fall into Klarion's hands again.

Which led me to break into Metropolis Central Bank. Hopefully Superman shows up before the police do, but I think I hear sirens and I don't see any tights yet.

"Freeze! Put your hands in the air and turn around slowly." I rolled my eyes, turning around with my hands on my hips. "I said, put your hands in the air."

"Look, I just want to talk to Superman." I sighed, raising my hands. Apparently I moved too fast because the next thing I knew I had a bullet in my leg. "What the shit, man?"

The cops all started to move in slow motion as I used my superspeed to zip around them, taking their guns away from them while ignoring the burning pain emitting from the bullet hole in my thigh. When the cops saw their missing guns, one cursed and glared at me. "Effing mutant."

I froze, dropping the guns and limping up to the cop. "What the hell did you just say to me?"

"You heard me."

I sneered, punching the cop in the face. The other seven cops immediately lunged at me but I ducked, causing them to collide instead with each other. I laughed, not noticing the sniper that had a heavy duty tranquilizer trained on me until it was embedded in my neck and everything faded to black.