chapter six

Wanda's POV

"What the hell was that?" I snapped at Jason as soon as we were alone. He just stared at me blankly, making me grunt in frustration. "He is just a kid! Did you want me killed when I was mind controlled?"

"That was different."

"How so? Because you liked me?"

"No, because you aren't as powerful as he is. Wanda, he destroyed a star with his bare hands!" Jason hissed.

"And I created an army out of nothing! Give the boy a break, will you?" I shot him one last glare before heading off to find Billy. Someone had to make sure he was okay after Jason told him to die and it might as well be the one who has shared experience.

I found him sitting in silence with his brother in the lounge, no one else around as the two of them just stared at the static on the tv. I cleared my throat to announce my presence and both the twins looked up. Tommy looked between Billy and me, nodding in understanding before leaving the two of us alone.

Billy sighed, reluctantly meeting my gaze. "Are you here to tell me to die like your boyfriend?"

I chuckled, taking a seat next to Billy. "No, Billy, I'm not. I may be the only person in the universe that understands what you're going through." I took his hands in mine, instantly feeling the mental anguish he was in. "Perhaps I can help?"

Billy scoffed, pulling his hands from my grip. "Yeah, okay, mom." He blushed furiously when he looked over and saw the confused expression on my face. "Sorry, in an alternate universe you are my mother."

I raised an eyebrow but didn't comment on it, instead focusing on more important matters. "Billy, do you remember any of Klarion's plans? You were with him for two years, surely you've got something."

Billy chuckled at that, shaking his head slightly. "Really, Wanda? He wants what he has always wanted, to cause chaos. He is the Lord of Chaos after all. And with my abilities under his control, imagine the kind of damage he could cause."

I shuddered at the thought.

Time to take a new approach to Operation cheer Billy Up. "Hey, the team is having a little celebration of our recent string of victories. Why don't you join us?"

Billy scrunched up his face. "Really? Would the team even want me there?"

I sighed, taking Billy's hands in mine once more. This time he didn't pull away. "Billy, you were under Klarion's control. If they can forgive me, they can forgive you. Plus, you did save M'gann."

"But I was the one to put her in the coma in the first place."

"While under Klarion's control. I made our friends see their worst fears while under the Light's control, which believe me, was not my proudest moment." I pushed the memory of seeing the horror on their faces all those years ago to the back of my mind, refusing to think about it. "So, what do you say? Will you join us?"

"I don't know..."

"Tim will be there." Billy blushed, avoiding my eye contact. "Oh, come on. We both know you want to come so just say yes already."

"Oh, alright. Where will this little get together be?" Billy couldn't hide the small smile that creeped its way onto his face, much to my delight.

"At the apartment I share with Jason." Billy raised a brow quizzically. "We moved out of the Manor a little bit ago. Man, you have so much to catch up on."

Billy sighed. "That I do, that I do."

I got up and headed towards the door, turning to face Billy when I reached the doorframe. "Tonight, six o'clock. Don't be late. Oh, and Billy?" He perked up. "Don't call me mom ever again."

He burst into a fit of giggles, howling when I knocked him over with a good natured hex bolt.

I guess I accomplished my goal.

Billy's POV

Tommy put me down outside Wanda and Jason's door after sprinting us there from the mountain, a small smile on his otherwise nervous expression. I adjusted my outfit before I raised my hand to knock, the door opening before I could tap once. Wanda stood there with a huge smile, pulling both of us into a group hug. "Kaplan boys! I'm glad you could make it."

"Well, you kind of didn't give us any choice, did you?" I drawled sarcastically, snickering when Wanda punched my arm. "Kidding, kidding. Are we the last ones here?"

"Nah, we are still waiting on Artemis and Wally. Come in, I'll give you a tour." Wanda ushered us in, the grin never leaving her face. "Guys, my sons are here!"

"I thought we agreed you weren't going to call them that." Dick groaned, greeting us with high fives. "Good to have you back, Billy."

I smiled at the gathering of my friends, following Wanda through the crowd as she showed us her apartment. Once the tour was done and we made our way back to the rest of the group, I was bombarded by our resident Martian.

M'gann was hugging me tightly, whispering lowly into my ear. "I forgive you, Billy. I hope one day, you can forgive yourself."

"How-"

"Telepath, remember? Besides, your face practically projects your thoughts." She smiled warmly, patting my cheek once before disappearing into the gathering. I swallowed thickly, making my way out onto the balcony.

I loved my friends deeply but sometimes they were just too much.

I slid down the wall outside, putting my head between my knees as the tears slid out of my eyes, gasping for air. The words I had been calling myself since the incident with Thanos came back to haunt me full swing ever since I got my memory back and now they were practically screaming at me at a deafening volume.

Monster.

Murderer.

Backstabber.

Demon.

Good for nothing.

Destructive.

Atrocious.

I clamped my hands over my ears in a futile attempt to block the voice out. At some point during my break down, I began to shake uncontrollably. My vision was swimming but I knew someone was crouching in front of me. They took my hands away from my ears and pulled me into a hug, not saying anything as they rocked slowly and calmly with me on their lap. I clung to their shirt like a lifeline, my breathing still ragged.

"Breath, Billy. You need to breath." I tried to slow my breathing down, but all my attempts were failing. They took one of my hands and placed it over their heart. I felt the steady beat and closed my eyes, focusing only on the feeling of their heartbeat. "That's good, you're doing great Billy. Keep focusing on my heart."

My panic attack must have wiped me out because the next thing I knew I was fast asleep, in the arms of someone I was too worked up to recognize.

Great going, Billy.