chapter eleven

Wanda's POV

Three months later...

I bolted up right in bed, my heart pounding in my chest. I walked out of my bedroom to the kitchen, careful not to disturb the sleeping Jason next to me.

As I was getting a glass of water, I thought about the strange dream I had of Billy torturing Klarion in some weird cosmic realm, the utter glee on Billy's face at Klarion's cries of pain. I shuddered, it reminded me to much of...me.

I had been having he same dream for the last three months, ever since I erased Billy from existence. Each night, the look on Billy's face becomes more twisted with pleasure as Klarion's condition deteriorates. I couldn't shake the feeling that it was less of a dream and more of a vision, a vision to another dimension. But that would be impossible. Billy and Klarion were gone, have been for months. So, then, why did it feel so real?

***

Luckily, I didn't have to think too hard about it because I had training with the team today.

Since I erased Billy from existence, things were more grim, less...fun. Tommy left the team, for starters, claiming he couldn't be around those who condone murder. We tried to explain to him how it was necessary that I do what I did to Billy, but he was having none of it. Still will only talk to Tim, who is still is with us on the team physically, but mentally and emotionally...that's a different story.

Not that I blame him, I mean, if someone erased Jason from existence I wouldn't be the same either.

So, Tim still hasn't forgiven me and I'm pretty sure he has only stuck around to shoot death glares at me every chance he gets. A chill went down my spine as I thought about how much more he would hate me if what I had to tell the team wasn't true...

Jason and I arrived at Mount Justice, zeta tubing our way inside. We were greeted by a batarang almost taking my head off, only being stopped by my telekinesis.

"Oh, sorry, Wanda. Didn't see you there." Tim smiled sweetly, lying through his teeth.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes, smiling back at him as I waved the incident off, returning the batarang back to him. "Where are the others? I have news." Tim scowled, motioning for me and Jason to follow him towards the training bay.

The whole team was gathered in the training bay, sparring with each other. I watched for a moment, mesmerized by their fluid movements. I loved to watch my friends work and train, they were so graceful.

Tim whistled, gaining everyone's attention and reminding me of my mission here.

Billy.

Right.

I gulped, motioning for everyone to gather around the three of us. Once everyone was surrounding us, I cleared my throat.

This sure won't be easy...

"So, uh, as you all know three months ago I erased Billy Kaplan from existence in order to prevent Klarion from using his abilities." Tim scoffed, rolling his eyes at my words. I trudged on with what I had to say. "Ever since that day, I've been having these...dreams of sorts. Of Billy."

"Guilty conscience much." Tim muttered under his breath, his arms crossed tightly over his chest. Jason rolled his eyes at his brother.

I took in a shuddering breath, continuing on. "The thing is, they feel more like...visions. Like Billy isn't really gone."

Tim's face became red and he started to shake, fists clenched by his sides as he narrowed his eyes at me. "Don't you dare, Wanda. Unless you are one hundred percent certain-"

And in that moment, I knew.

"I am. And...I think I know how to bring him back."

Tim was in my face in an instant. "Wanda, if you are lying I swear I-"

I took a step back from Tim, summoning the natural energies that flow through me. My eyes began to glow scarlet as I lifted my hands, raising them above my head. "Show me Billy Kaplan, as he is now!"

The air crackled with energy as scarlet hued clouds formed above our heads, parting to show the strange cosmic realm from my dreams. Inside the parted clouds was Billy, his face contorted into a twisted smirk as he sent a lightning bolt at an unseen Klarion.

I heard gasps of disbelief and horror from my teammates as the image of Billy faded with a cackle. I turned to my friends to see Tim with his phone out, texting Tommy, I presume.

I was right, because not even a moment later Tommy was here with tears in his eyes. "Wanda, Tim told me what happened. If there is any chance you can bring him ba-"

I lifted a hand to silence him. "Bitch please, I'm the Scarlet Witch. Of course I can bring him back."

M'gann cocked her head, brow furrowed. "I'm sensing a 'but' coming...what is it?"

I sighed. She knew me too well. "But Tommy, you may not like what your brother has become."

He scoffed. "I don't care, Wanda. Besides, however he is now is your fault for erasing him from existence. Remember that. You caused this."

I resisted the urge to hit Tommy with a hex bolt. I knew he had a point, but everyone kept forgetting Billy literally asked me to do this, so he is at least partially to blame.

Taking a deep breath to calm the anger swelling up inside me, I sat crisscross on the ground, motioning for the others to do the same.

"This is your plan? Meditation?" Tommy sounded incredulous.

"Tommy, I will hex you so you can't speak. I need to concentrate and you blabbering won't help." I hissed.

Even with my eyes closed, I could sense Tommy opening his mouth to say more before thinking better of it.

Good.

"Now, everyone, take my hands." I felt our energies connect as soon as the circle was complete. Now I was ready to cast my spell. "Take us to the plane of nonexistence. Take us to Billy Kaplan, the Demiurge."

My scarlet energy flowed out of me and into my team, engulfing us one by one until the training bay was empty, the only trace of us having been there was the slowly dissipating scarlet clouds.