chapter nine

Wanda's POV

Billy's Mind

I grit my teeth as I felt the energies inside me well up once more. I aimed a hex blast at Klarion, about to fire when his words stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Ah ah ah, I wouldn't do that if I were you. We are in young Billy's mind, so if you damage it with your powers, well..." Klarion made a face, dragging his pointer finger across his throat in a cutting motion.

"You absolute monster." I snarled. "Give us Billy back."

"What's done is done, Wanda. Even I can't undo it." Billy whimpered, looking pathetically small next to Klarion. "And believe me, I've tried."

"Well sorry, Demiurge, but you aren't me." I felt my eyes and hands glow my signature scarlet as I thought up a quick spell to wake Billy. "Billy is no longer under Klarion's magical control."

And everything went fuzzy as Tim, Tommy, and I were yanked out of Billy's consciousness.

Mount Justice

I sat up with a gasp, probably freaking Dick and Artemis out given the looks they were giving me and the fact they were both clutching their hearts. Wally was by our sides in an instant, checking our vitals before giving the all clear to take the equipment off.

"What happened? Did you free Billy?" Dick asked, eyeing me carefully.

"See for yourself." I nodded towards Billy.

We all watched as a group as the ice encasing Billy started to crack, blue light shining through the slits. It wasn't long before the ice completely shattered and Billy's eyes flung open, a deep inhale of breath signing to us that he was alive.

"Billy! Oh, thank goodness." Tommy was hugging Billy immediately, Billy returning the gesture. Tommy pulled out of the embrace, staring quizzically at Billy. "How are you feeling?"

"Icky. Used. Defeated." Billy sighed, turning to me. "Wanda, can I talk to you? In private."

I set up a mind link between us, ushering everyone else out of the room, much to the annoyance of Tim and Tommy.

Sure thing, Billy. What is it?

I need you to do me a favor...but you need to promise you won't back out of it.

Billy, you're kind of scaring me. What is it?

I'm going to give you my powers, okay? And then I will ask for the favor.

You can give someone your powers?!

We'll find out.

Billy grabbed my hands before I could say anything else, his whole body glowing a blue aura as he whispered a spell. "Wanda Maximoff now has the powers of Billy Kaplan, the Demiurge."

I felt a rush of new energy surge through my body and I couldn't help but let out a shocked screech. It felt like I was on fire and being electrocuted at the same time. I looked down at my hands and saw the energy physically flowing from Billy's body into mine.

I heard footsteps and turned my head to see the team standing in the doorway, eyes wide as they looked on upon the power switch.

"What the hell is happening?" Jason yelled, shielding his eyes from the ever growing glowing light that was Billy and me.

"I don't know, but I have a bad feeling about this." Dick muttered just loud enough for me to hear over the blood pounding in my ears.

Finally, the flow of energy from Billy slowed down enough for me to yank my hands free from his vice like grip. I stared at Billy in shock, feeling slightly betrayed. "How could you do that, Billy?"

"What did he do?" Jason asked, preemptively reaching for his holster.

"He...he infused me with his powers. I am now the Demiurge." I gulped, looking over at my team with a feeling I haven't felt in a long time.

Fear.

"What? What does that mean?" Tim asked, looking between Billy and me.

"It means..." Billy panted, looking completely worn out. Understandably so, the poor kid just gave me all of his powers. "It means Wanda now has the power to rewrite time and reality without consequence."

"Why would you give her that power though?"

"She has the training and discipline I do not." Billy looked hesitant to tell the others what Klarion revealed inside his mind.

I had no such reservations.

"And because Billy is now Klarion's familiar, allowing the Witch Boy access to his abilities. Now that he is powerless, Klarion is back to his regular ole self." I explained, clicking two and two together. I turned to Billy, speaking to him through my mind link.

Billy, what is the favor you need me to do now that I have your powers?

I need you to...I need you to erase me from existence.

I felt my heart stop, my eyes bulging out of my head.

I'm sorry, what?! Without your powers, you are no longer a threat.

I still have done horrible things that need to be atoned for. Plus, I am the Demiurge. I am the embodiment of the power, meaning I am never truly without it. So now, neither is Klarion.

I nodded, understanding what he was saying but remembering what a wise sorcerer once said to him.

Doctor Strange said that the ultimate sacrifice isn't always necessary. You don't need me to do this.

Actually, I do. Please Wanda, you are literally the only one.

I felt tears well up in my eyes as I realized what I would have to do. Billy was right, I just hope the others would forgive me.

I let the powers Billy infused me with flow through me as I thought up a spell, hearing Tommy ask Billy what we were talking about. Artemis asked Dick what I was doing as I opened my eyes, revealing a haunting purple as the powers of the Demiurge mixed with my natural abilities.

I looked at Billy, who gave me a subtle nod, and that was all the confirmation I needed.

"Billy Kaplan has never existed."

I watched as Billy began to fade from all of our views, the others crying out in horror and outrage. Just as Billy was almost gone completely from existence, he mouthed his final words to me.

A simple, yet meaningful, thank you.