chapter one

Wanda's POV

We were training at the mountain when Batman, Superman, Black Canary, and Kaldur, the new Aquaman, came in with stern faces.

"Mission room, now." Batman growled. We all exchanged looks, following the Justice Leaguers out of the training room and into the mission room. Batman was at the holographic computer, pulling up file after file for a moment before he paused, gesturing to Superman.

Superman looked at us with apprehension before he sighed. "As you all know, after the battle with Thanos two years ago and the subsequent loss of the Kaplan twins to civilian life, we have been keeping tabs on them. However, two months ago we lost all trace of the twins, completely out of the blue." Superman turned to Batman who pulled up a newspaper clipping from the Daily Planet that showed a familiar shock of white hair on a stretcher, heavily strapped down and being loaded into the back of a police van. "That is until yesterday, when Tommy Kaplan was arrested in Metropolis for breaking and entering, resisting arrest, and assaulting a police officer."

"What? Our Tommy? Are you sure?" Tim gasped, eyes glued to the holographic screen as Batman pulled up the security footage of the inside of the bank. We had visual of what happened, but no audio. "Batman, where is the audio?"

"I'm working on that, but from what I can tell, Tommy seems to be asking for Superman."

"He didn't want to hurt the police officers, he was provoked." Jason pointed out, walking up to the holographic computer and rewinding the footage. "There, you can see it in his body language. He was nervous."

"Well, duh, he was breaking into a bank and had eight guns pointed at him, then got shot." Garfield rolled his eyes. "Sir, what do you want us to do with this information?"

"Well, this is a cry for help if I have ever seen one before." Kaldur spoke up, eyes falling on me. "I want a few of you to go to the juvenile detention center he is being held at and bring him back here. I have already spoken with the warden and gotten approval."

"How?"

"Let's just saw, Amanda Waller owes me." Kaldur smirked, crossing his arms smugly. "Now, Wanda, you are to take Pietro, Tim, M'gann, and Roy with you to the juvenile detention center. Bring Tommy back for questioning."

"Of course." I nodded, eyes falling to the ground. "But I should let you all know that I saw Tommy yesterday."

"What? Why didn't you tell us?"

"We got distracted by Artemis and Wally announcing their pregnancy! Besides, I didn't get a clear look at him." I shrugged, biting my lip. "I got a feeling that I was being watched while I was doing laundry, turning around to see a streak of white and green, like Tommy's costume color. I tried to summon him back but something was blocking my powers."

The Justice Leaguers exchanged a look amongst themselves. "Thank you for letting us know. Now go, bring Tommy home."

"Yes, sir."

The five of us ran off to the bioship, departing in silence for the first half of the flight. Roy was the one to break the silence, asking a question that was on most of our minds. "Where is Billy in all this? Those two were inseparable." None of us had a concrete answer so we said nothing, continuing our flight in silence.

We got to the detention center a dozen or so miles outside of Metropolis in record time, exiting the bioship to be greeted by the warden herself, Amanda Waller. "You must be the posse Aquaman sent to collect Speed. Very well, follow me."

We followed the warden through the prison, stopping outside a holding cell that contained a concerning sight. Tommy Kaplan was sitting on the bench with his right leg propped up, a bandage wrapped around his thigh snuggly. He was in a prison jumpsuit, the right leg torn off presumably so the doctors could work on his injury.

Tommy lifted his hanging head when the door slid open, a huge smile breaking out on his face when he saw us. "Man, it is so good to see you guys." Tim and Roy went to go help him off the bench but Tommy waved them off, standing up on his own and walking towards the open cell door with only a slight limp. When he saw our surprised faces he laughed. "I do everything fast, including healing. One of the perks, I guess. Now c'mon, I bet you have a lot of questions."

I nodded, thanking the warden as we made our way back to the bioship. "We sure do, Tommy, we sure do."

Mount Justice

Once we were back at the Mountain we brought Tommy to one of the rooms we use for therapy with Dinah, using it this time as a makeshift interrogation room. Tommy was all smiles, sitting in one of the chairs and propping his injured leg up.

"Team, you may resume your trai-"

"Sorry, Bats, he was one of us and our friend. We deserve to be here." I narrowed my eyes at Batman, sitting down across from Tommy and focusing my gaze on the teenager. "So, Tommy, why did you break into the bank?"

Tommy shrugged. "I wanted Superman to show up but the cops got there first."

"Why did you want Superman?"

"I know that you have been keeping watch on Billy and me these past few years. I also know that you have lost track of us, probably about two or three months ago."

"How do you know that?" Batman didn't deny it, there was no point.

"I'm not stupid, and neither are you guys. We are super powered teenagers that know the inner workings of your team, of course you need to keep tabs on us. Anyways-"

"Wait, you said 'we are', but Billy lost his powers, didn't he?" Dick interrupted, sitting on the arm of my chair.

"I'm getting to that." Tommy sighed in annoyance. "I broke into the bank to get your attention because Wanda didn't tell you guys about seeing me at her apartment when she saw you at the beach. Through no fault of her own, of course. Congratulations to Artemis and Wally by the way, they will make great parents."

"How do-"

"Do you even need to finish that sentence? I was obviously there, duh. I had to make sure Wanda told you guys so you would go looking, but since she didn't...bank robbery in Metropolis to get Superman's attention because he would be understanding." Tommy took a deep breath, eyeing all of us before continuing. "I need your help."

"With?"

"Billy's powers came back two months after the whole Thanos thing ended, but not his memory."

"That's impossible, we would have noticed." Dinah didn't sound as convincing as I'm sure she hoped.

"He can warp reality, remember? You would only see what he wants you to see. And he does not want you to know he has his powers back."

"Why?"

Tommy took another deep, shuddering breath before continuing. "Because he is working with Klarion."