chapter two

Wanda's POV

"What? Why would he be working with Klarion? How did he even meet Klarion? Where are your parents in all of this?" Pietro rapidly fired his questions at Tommy, who raised his hands in defense.

"Whoa, one question at a time! Klarion was there when Billy got his powers back and offered to train him, and since Billy doesn't have his memories back, Billy accepted. Or so I thought it went, until Billy came home with this weird glowing red mark on his forehead and cast a spell on our parents, making them forget about us." Tommy shuddered, taking a deep breath before continuing with his story. "Billy placed illusions of us at school, taking me with him to see Klarion so I could be indicted into The Light. He is completely under Klarion's control, doing whatever the witch boy asks of him."

"And you? How did you escape?"

"Klarion took Billy to train and left me unguarded, so I ran as fast as I could to Wanda, hoping she would sense something was wrong." Tommy looked around the room with pleading eyes. "Please, you have to help my brother. Klarion has turned him into something he's not and I'm afraid of what he has planned for Billy."

"Where is Klarion keeping Billy?" I asked, standing up from the arm chair to pace. This was a lot of information to process.

"The Light has a base of operations in Santa Prisca, that is where Billy is being held."

How do we know he is telling the truth?

I'll scan his brain for any signs of mind control.

Anything?

Nothing traceable, but then again, Klarion could be using magic to set up a trap.

Tim sat down in my now vacated seat, narrowing his eyes at Tommy. "Tell me something only a non-controlled Tommy would know or say."

Tommy scoffed, smirking at Tim. "You have always had a crush on my brother, I don't know why, I am clearly the better looking twin."

Tim's face flushed as he stuttered out his reply. "O-kay, this is really Tommy." Clearing his throat and avoiding all of our eyes, Tim stood up from the chair. "Aquaman, what is the plan?"

Kaldur was silent as he thought things over. "We will need Zatanna for this. I am sending the whole covert team to Santa Prisca, we will need all the power for this."

We all nodded in response. "When do we leave?"

"Tonight."

Santa Prisca

The bioship touched down in camouflage mode on the outskirts of the island and we all exited the ship onto the shore, crouching behind the rocks as M'gann and I set up the mind link.

Mind link established. What is the course of action, Nightwing?

We are going to fan out and search the island for Billy. Do not engage with anyone and when you come across Billy, alert Wanda or Zatanna ASAP.

We all nodded and took off in separate directions into the woods of Santa Prisca. I reached out to Tigress on a private telepathic link as I was flying, landing on a tree branch.

Art, thank you for coming along. I know how much you and Wally want to live a normal civilian life so coming out of 'retirement' for this wasn't easy.

Of course, Wanda. Billy brought my husband back from the dead, I kind of owe him one.

Just be careful, okay?

Hey, my sister was able to do this kind of stuff when she was pregnant, why can't I?

You know what I mean.

I smiled to myself as I launched back into the air, being careful to stay within the tree branches and not create too much noise.

I was about a quarter mile into the woods when I heard a sound below me. Pausing, I landed on a tree branch and glanced down, my eyes widening when I saw Klarion sitting crisscross across from Billy, both of their eyes closed. Curiosity got the better of me as I settled in on the branch to watch the two of them, letting the team know through the mind link to converge on my position.

"Now, Billy, what I am about to teach you is a very advanced spell. It took me a couple hundred years to master." Klarion murmured, taking Billy's hands in his own. "This will hurt a lot." Billy's eyes flung open to reveal pure blood red orbs and he began to glow the same color, his face contorting with pain. He let out a low groan as he began to sweat and Klarion let out a drunk sounding giggle. "The power, so much power."

The tree shook as my friends landed in the branches around me, gasping when they saw what I was watching.

What is Klarion doing to Billy?

I think he is taking his power, but I'm not sure. He said he was teaching him a spell.

Billy's eyes stopped glowing red, instead morphing into a black, soulless color. His head snapped to the side, staring directly at the tree we were in. "We are not alone, Klarion. Shall I welcome our visitors?"

Klarion giggled, pulling his hands away from Billy's to clap like a child. "Ooh, goody! A show!"

Billy smiled a twisted grin, raising his hand towards us and drawing it back to his chest. We all went flying out of the tree, landing in a heap on the ground a few feet away from Billy and Klarion, who both rose to their feet. Klarion walked a few feet away, picking Teekl up as he went to sit on a nearby rock. Billy snapped his fingers and the whole team rose in the air like puppets on strings, hanging limply.

Billy walked down the line of us, stopping in front of me. "You shall not speak." He continued his walk, stopping again in front of Zatanna. "Hmm, you have magic as well. Not anymore. Ha! That was fun!" He whirled around to face Klarion, ignoring our glares. "What else shall I do?"

"Practice that spell I just taught you." Klarion grinned, leaning on his hands as he watched Billy eye all of us.

Billy nodded, turning around to look us over once more. "Hmm, whose powers shall I steal? Decisions, decisions." Billy cackled, stopping in front of Artemis. My heart practically leaped in my throat when he eyed her with his soulless eyes. He reached his hand out for her forehead, stopping when M'gann cried out. Billy whirled around to face her with a glare, floating over to her with an angry expression. "You dare interrupt me? The Demiurge? You should know better, Martian." He reached out, grabbing her forehead harshly. They both cried out as they began to glow a murky red color, tears streaming down M'gann's face.

I may not be able to speak, but I still have my telepathy. I grit my teeth as I focused on getting past Billy's mental barriers, finally bursting through with one command.

Stop!

Billy went flying backwards as M'gann's eyes rolled back in her head. I did a mental check to see if she was still alive, breathing a sigh of relief when I found signs of life.

Billy stood up, eyes narrowing at me. "Why you little-"

"That is enough, Billy. Send them away, they are boring me." Klarion yawned, flicking his wrist towards Billy. The mark on his forehead glowed red quickly and Billy nodded in submission.

"Leave us."

The next thing I knew we were back at the cave, collapsing to the floor now that we no longer had Billy's telekinesis holding us in the air. I scrambled to my feet, rushing over to M'gann to check on her.

"She's going to be okay." I surprised myself with my ability to talk. Apparently his spell only worked in his presence.

"Yeah, but that little shit won't be." Conner grunted. I nodded in agreement. Tommy came running up to us, took one look at M'gann, and immediately began profusely apologizing. "Save it. We need to take your brother down."

"You're going to kill him?"

"If that's what it takes, yes." I snapped, my hands still supporting M'gann's head.

Tommy glared at us all before sprinting off, probably to go hit something or blow something up. Whatever.

Billy and Klarion need to be stopped, whatever the cost.