iii. trading card madness

PHIL PASSED HER OFF TO an agent of red hair, promising she'd be notified the moment Steve arrived. Sam nodded, smiling at his excitement. She'd promised to sign the trading cards— it was the least she could do.

The woman regarded her curiously.

"Agent Romanoff," Phil nodded toward her. "Samantha Clarence."

"Call me Sam."

"Natasha."

Sam watched Phil leave, glancing sideways at the female agent. She hadn't seen another woman on the field since... well, Peggy. Natasha started down the hallway without another word and she hurried to follow.

"I trust you know why you're here?"

"I do."

"Did Phil bring up the trading cards yet?"

Sam snorted, nodding. "Only a couple hundred of times. Kinda neat, actually."

"Just wait till you see his Captain America set. Vintage."

She tried to take in as much of the helicarrier as she could as they walked. Agents in black uniforms with the S.H.I.E.L.D logo hurried by, a few stopping to gawk, some staring until their path took them out of sight. The entire place was huge. 

In a way, it was also familiar, being surrounded by so many agents and soldiers again. It reminded her of the old days.

If World War II of had this sort of technology, that is.

"I'll show you around until Captain Rogers shows up. There's a lot you still need to be brought to speed on." Nat glanced over. "I've heard the nickname. You can turn invisible?"

"Something like that, I guess."

"Could be useful in the field. And... the aging?"

Looking sideways, Sam met her gaze. There was more than curiosity behind Natasha's eyes. She was searching for something— an answer that Sam didn't know if she had. But she searched for the right words anyway. "Slowed, maybe stopped. Not really sure. Howard might have been able to find out more if I hadn't left."

Natasha set her jaw. "Could be lonely in the future."

"It was pretty lonely until now."

"Heard you were surprised to hear about Captain Roger's return from the ice. Seems like the whole country knew about it when he was found."

Sam looked at her feet, shaking her head. "I didn't spend much time in one place. Especially not here. London was my favorite, but mercenary work often took me to more foreign areas. You can hear a lot underground, but I was never really listening. Especially not for someone who I expected to be dead."

"Makes sense."

The hall opened up and she spotted Fury standing surrounded by computers and sitting agents. Grand windows expanded beyond his back. She tried not to gape, following Natasha forward.