xxiv. remember me

TONY HAD DESIGNED HER SUIT to absorb, reflect, or block punches, shrapnel, and the occasional blade. He'd made it as lightweight as possible, as defensive as possible. He'd done the best he could, but he couldn't make it perfect. He couldn't make it bulletproof.

Sam wasn't bulletproof.

She phased out— but not fast enough to miss the bullets.

Not all of them.

She felt the gunshot rip through her. A pain so sudden, so powerful, it tore straight through her chest. She hit the wall and dropped down to the floor, taking a shuddering, gasping breath.

It was utter agony. Hot, burning, agony.

Sam clapped a hand to her stomach and drew back. Her fingers, trembling and pale, were wet with blood.

Her blood.

The room spun. Footsteps approached and Sam looked up, gasping for air, a roaring in her ears, heart thundering against her chest. She clutched at her stomach even tighter, trying to stop the bleeding.

But somehow, she knew it wouldn't do any good.

Bucky gazed down at her. Blue eyes blank, brown hair falling over his eyes. Her entire body was shaking and she could only stare up at him; a ghost, corpse, soldier.

"B... Barnes."

"Shut up."

"R-remember me."

His metal fist clenched. Sam choked and clutched her chest tighter, fingers slick with blood. It was coming out too fast.

"W-who am I, Bucky? Who am I to you?"

"An enemy—" He cut off and shook his head, brows furrowing. "No. Enemies, I understand. You... I don't know what you are."

Sam closed her eyes.

The sound of shouting drew closer. Footsteps raced toward them and came to a sudden halt and Sam didn't need to open her eyes to know she wasn't getting out of this. 

They weren't alone anymore.

"Soldier." Rumlow's voice. "Step back."

Bucky didn't move for a moment. 

Sam gripped her stomach tighter and opened her eyes, gazing up at him. His brows were still furrowed, lips parted ever so slightly. 

Enemies, I understand.

"Soldat," Rumlow said again. Stronger, this time. "Step back."

Bucky blinked and complied. 

A broken, humorless laugh broke from Sam's lips. She looked over as Rumlow stepped forward, hysteria in her throat and grief in her chest. She laughed at the man, shaking her head in trembling agony.