xx. death wishes are fun?

"YOU'VE GOTTA HAVE A DEATH WISH."

"I've been told that enough times, it might be true." Sam crossed her arms. "But tell me there's a better way. Because I don't see us learning about HYDRA before they learn about us any other way."

Natasha sighed. "I don't know, Clarence."

"It could work."

"How would we even get in?"

Sam shifted and shook her head. Fury had remained silent but stared intently at her with the question. "If we could figure out how SHIELD agents get in, that might help."

"Seriously?" he said. "You think Stark or Rogers could just waltz over and ask to be invited into HYDRA's top-secret headquarters? You really think that's a good idea, Clarence?"

"They couldn't do it. But I could."

"Like hell you could."

"Why not? Most people think the Phantom is dead. Only a handful of SHIELD agents know who I really am. We'd just have to take the risk."

"The entire STRIKE team knows who you are."

"Like I said. A risk."

"No way, Samantha," Steve interrupted. "It's not a risk we're willing to take."

"I am."

"It's not your choice."

"Well, it should be!" Her voice cracked. "Dammit, Steve, I turned my back on the war. When I thought Bucky died, that you'd died, I ran. But Hydra remained. I turned my back on everyone and let those Red Skull bastards continue to fester."

Steve looked away. A tense silence fell over the air.

Sam swallowed hard and squared her shoulders, determined not the be the object of their pity. "Don't tell me this isn't possible. Because we're not getting closer any other way."

"I'm not letting you risk your life, Samantha."

"It's not your decision, Steve."

Fury cleared his throat. Every eye snapped to him and he gazed at her resolutely, one eye narrowing. "Damn straight, it isn't. And your friends are right, Clarence. You've gotta have a death wish."

She clenched her jaw.

"But we're a little limited on options right now. So if you can figure out how to get in, you can take point. Is that understood?"

Steve went rigid and opened his mouth. Fury turned his gaze toward the super-soldier.

"Is that understood?"

Sam cut in before Steve could say a word. "Understood, sir."

The super-soldier gazed over at her, betrayal in his eyes, but she held his gaze. Shaking his head, Steve turned, stalking away. His footsteps sounded on the stairs, until they were gone.