xxii. the heads of hydra

SAM HAD BEEN A LOT OF PLACES.

Washington D.C. was not one of them.

Stepping off the quinjet, she blinked against the bright morning light. She'd left with the sunrise, making claims of checking in on Sitwell one more time. Steve had still been short with her.

She'd given him one more look before leaving. A sad look, hoping she'd be back to see his face again. Hoping she'd be back.

Natasha had offered a curt goodbye nod.

And now, she was states away. Stepping onto the airport field behind Sitwell, who hadn't even seemed to notice her joining his unit. She'd studied each and every one of the agents. The way they talked quietly among one another, the looks they shared.

Sam didn't trust any of them.

She reached into her pocket, palming the HYDRA security card. If it was enough, she didn't know. How far it would get her, she had no clue.

Hopefully, far enough.

"Sitwell!"

The man that stepped out of a sleek black car was none other than Senator Stern, a heavyset man with the flattest looking nose Sam had ever seen. He walked forward and clasped Sitwell's hand, shaking it firmly.

"Glad Pierce agreed to send you out."

Sitwell glanced back, looking over them all. His eyes didn't hesitate once on her before looking back. "Glad to be here, sir."

"Any news on our... missing artifacts?"

"No, sir. Not yet."

Stern wrinkled his nose. "I don't know why Fury is so intent on staying in New York. There's nothing left there but destruction and obliteration."

"Any news from the Triskelion?"

"In exception to the director's ridiculous new security measures? Nothing."

"And the Project?"

Stern's face soured. "A long ways out."

Another three cars had driven up. All black and sleek, just like the Senator's. Sam gazed around uncertainly, watching the others of her unit. They'd all split up, each seeming to have their own places to go. Their own orders to follow.

Which one would take her where she needed to be?

"Agent?"

Sam spun toward Sitwell, who was studying her with narrowed eyes. Her heart leaped into her throat and for a moment, she froze. Then snapped back to reality. "Sir?"

"I've never seen you on this unit before."

"Y-yes, sir."

He raised a brow and her heart raced. Searching for the right words, Sam tried to smother her panic as best she could.