xxv. weapons don't weep

SAM DIDN'T FIGHT BACK

She didn't have enough strength.

The base was as big as she'd expected and they moved down hallway after hallway, two guards at her sides, two at her back. Rumlow led the way, a hand resting on the pistol at his side.

Those they passed stopped and stared. Soldiers, scientists. She wondered if they truly knew who they worked for.

And if they did, how they lived with themselves.

"How do you do it?"

Rumlow glanced over his shoulder, arching a brow. "Do what?"

"Live with yourself?"

"I don't believe in much, Clarence, but I believe in HYDRA. It's order. Order is what makes the world go round. And order only comes from pain."

"Pain?"

He grinned. "You'd be a prime candidate, you know. Gotta lot of pain, Clarence. Lotta anger, endurance, and strength. Why not put it all to good use?"

"Trust me," she snarled. "I'm planning on it."

Dark eyes only gleamed. "There's the anger I'm talking about."

They slowed down, nearing a room with two men standing guard at the door. They straightened as Rumlow approached, an obvious touch on the man's rank. Here, he seemed to be something above a soldier.

Order. The word was a bitter one.

Order could be taken in many perspectives. Command, demand, dictation. Submission, compliance.

They all made her shudder.

Rumlow cast a glance over his shoulder, grinning again. "How you feelin', Clarence? Still determined to play hero?"

"Still determined to be a HYDRA bumbling ass?"

"Fine."

Sam growled and struggled as she was dragged forward. But upon entering the room, she stopped and went still.

Gazing at the man in front of her.

Bucky sat in the center of the room, face blank, lips parted, eyes hooded and unfocused. His shoulders were slumped a little, metal fist clenched tight. He didn't move or even look at her when she was dragged in, only staring straight ahead.

Pierce sat beside him, turning as they entered. "Rumlow?"

"This one's being difficult."

"Yes," Pierce turned back. "So is the Soldier."

Sam's heart leaped a little. She gazed at Rumlow, who looked a little surprised, then back. Toward Bucky, the action nearly causing a physical pain in her chest.