xix. fury's fury

HER AND STEVE KEPT AN EYE on the streets while Chan was briefed. The man had seemed jumpy when Rumlow offered to oversee the questioning. But he'd calmed down when Sam had promised things would be fine.

She stood beside the super-soldier, arms crossed, and watched the sunset.

"You did good, Samantha."

"Of course," she grinned over. "Surprised?"

Steve chuckled. "How modest."

"Modesty's never been my strong suit, Rogers."

He shook his head and threw an arm around her shoulders, bringing her in close. Sam grunted, but didn't fight back, leaning into the embrace instead. It was peaceful. Listening to the sounds of the city while watching the daylight fade.

After a few moments, Natasha came over. Steve glanced back toward Chan, letting go.

"How's he doing?"

"Jittery, nervous, but not running. Good job, Clarence."

Sam grinned.

"Is Rumlow still questioning him?"

"He should be done any minute."

"I'll check." Sam pulled away and moved toward Chan, off the street talking to Rumlow. He was rubbing his arm nervously. She could tell he was still fighting his 'fight or flight' mode.

But it was to be expected.

Sam slowed as she approached, giving them their space. The last thing she wanted was to startle Chan again.

She caught Rumlow's voice. Low, careful.

"How long have you been enhanced?"

"I... I don't know. It's recent, since the Battle of New York."

"You can control it?"

"Not well."

Rumlow nodded, checking a screen in his hand again. He pursed his lips. "You ever wanted to put them to use?"

Chan hesitated. "N-not really. It's a street act, that's all."

"You ever wanted to go into combat?"

Sam narrowed her eyes. Chan looked even more nervous, shifting from foot to foot. He shook his head again. "Not really."

"We could use a man like you, Yin."

"I'm not a fighter."

"You could be. We've got enhanced of our own. And an agenda for power. You like power, Yin?"

The man didn't answer. But he gazed over at his half-empty hat. Rumlow followed his gaze and grinned.

"You won't have to scrounge for scraps anymore."