xxvii. ghost of you

SAM FULLY EXPECTED A LECTURE

When the others arrived, she stood nervously at Wilson's side. He didn't seem much better, muttering something unintelligible under his breath as the others gazed around the living room, the front door closing behind them. Steve stood at the front, eyeing her.

Sam stood taller, bracing herself.

Because she fully expected a lecture.

What she didn't expect, was for the man to step forward and pull her close, a tight embrace that made her entire body lock up and scream in pain. Sam went rigid in surprise; then melted into the embrace, hugging the man tightly back.

She didn't realize how much she needed a hug.

"You're a damned idiot, Samantha," Steve muttered. He sounded both angry and relieved. She chuckled half-heartedly.

"I know."

"I'm going to kill you for this."

"Sounds fair."

Steve pulled back and gazed down at her. A fire suddenly came to life in his blue eyes and he shook his head. "A damned idiot! What the hell do you think you were doing?"

Sam stepped back. "I... Infiltrating HYDRA?"

"I can't— I can't take a breath around you!"

"Steve," Natasha stepped forward. But he held up a sharp hand and she backed down. Sam tried not to shrink away from the anger behind his gaze. The anger and the pain.

"I can't lose another friend, Samantha."

Her heart broke. "I'm sorry."

"You're off the mission. We're going back to New York."

"Steve—" His angry gaze cut her off. But Sam didn't back down, unsure how to start her next sentence. Because despite the rage in his gaze, it would change everything. Her heart pounded. She looked down, then back up. "I got inside."

His gaze didn't waver. Sam swallowed.

"I... I got inside HYDRA, Steve."

"We can talk about this back at the Tower—"

"No, Steve."

He cut off and glared. Sam felt her heart breaking all over again, but this time, not to the look in his eyes. To how she knew it was going to change.

"Bucky's alive."

Steve blinked. Sam lowered her gaze, hands shaking slightly.

"Steve... I saw him."

"Y-you what?"

"I followed Sitwell, I got in, and I saw him. Bucky... Bucky's still alive."

Steve's eyes cracked. "That's not possible."