xxix. we're going to be okay

SAM REFUSED TO LEAVE BUCKY'S SIDE.

They'd been forced to retreat from Wilson's apartment, HYDRA having left the moment they realized their target wasn't there. Though, not before they'd ransacked the place, turning it upside down.

Sam couldn't put her guilt into words, watching Wilson say goodbye to his apartment. The man came with them, the HYDRA threat too dangerous to leave him behind.

Thankfully, Natasha knew a few safe houses.

Hiding in the tunnels of an old abandoned SHIELD facility, they'd locked Bucky up tight, getting Tony's help to immobilize his metal arm and cuffing his other to the wall. 

Sam couldn't even look at him when they'd done it, feeling like she could be sick with self-hate. But after they'd finished, she hadn't left his side.

Steve, on the other hand, hadn't stayed a second longer.

She didn't know which of them was dealing worse with the guilt. 

Him, refusing to say a word other than that pertaining to the threat. Or her, refusing to acknowledge that HYDRA was acting at that moment to find and hunt them down.

Fury could be in danger.

Any loyal SHIELD agent could be in danger.

But Sam did her best to ignore it all.

"Clint and Nat are going back to New York to find Fury," Bruce said, standing a few feet away. His words were directed to her, but his gaze remained on Bucky. "And Thor and Tony are keeping an eye on the surrounding area."

She nodded quietly, never taking her eyes off of Bucky. 

His eyes closed, his breaths shallow.

"Something's happening at SHIELD," Bruce continued. "News reports everywhere are issuing a manhunt for the Avengers."

"Wait," she looked up. "They're condemning the Avengers?"

"The public doesn't know what to do. How to react."

"But people look up to the Avengers."

Bruce shifted, rubbing his arm. "Not when every news station is calling them killers. They're trying to spin the attack as one of terrorism. Some are even attempting to connect the alien invasion."

"They believe we're the cause of the Chitauri?"

"People are scared, Samantha. And their heroes are pariahs."

"What does Steve say?"

"Steve's not... in the best state of mind."

Sam clenched her jaw, looking back at Bucky. His breaths were so calm, so quiet, she could have believed she was looking at the man she knew.