viii. break a leg

"KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR BARTON, he's on the loose!"

Sam threw a nod over her shoulder, before diving into the chaos. Overhead, the alarm flashed red. The wailing had died out though, and replaced by a voice.

"We've got a perimeter breach! Hostiles are in SHIELD gear, hold on to every junction!"

Sam made for the stairs, weaving through the conflict and tacking a man down as he whirled toward her, gun raised. Knocking him solidly out, she shoved herself up again, moving faster this time. Gunshots continued to echo at her back, along with the overhead voice.

"The Hulk and Thor are in shuttle levels 2, 3 and 4!"

She left it all behind her, racing back up the stairs and toward Loki's cell. Somewhere, there was another explosion. Catching a glance out of one of the passing windows, she caught the Hulk break through the glass, leaping onto a small plane and tearing the top off.

That was enough to nearly stop her mid-path. But Sam forced herself to keep moving, coming over the top stair where Loki's cell was.

She nearly fainted in relief.

He still stood in the middle, hands pressed behind his back, shoulders tensed. He spun around as she approached, smiling victoriously. "Ghostwalker? Back already?"

"Just keeping an eye on the goods—"

Suddenly, the ground tilted.

Overhead, the alarm died, and the lights flickering and went out. The entire Helicarrier began to tilt sideways, the shouts doubling in the distance. Sam stumbled and lost her balance, falling sideways. Her head bounced off the wall and stars flashed before her eyes.

Dammit all. She blinked hard, reaching up and feeling blood.

This is why she hated flying.

She heard distant footsteps. Then something whirring— a door, sliding open. Something clicked then, but it wasn't until she heard Thor's shout that she realized exactly what was happening.

"No!"

Sam looked up just in time to see Thor go diving through Loki's flickering form.

He hit the ground hard on the other side and the cell door closed behind him with a click. She blinked hard, trying to come fully back to reality. Loki tilted his head, his back toward her as he gazed at his brother.

"Are you ever not going to fall for that?"

Sam managed to stand, only to freeze as something pressed against her temple. She glanced sideways to see one of Loki's men. A SHIELD operative with eyes of dull blue. His finger tensed around the trigger and her heart leaped—

"Don't," Loki said, turning. "Not yet."

"Loki!" Thor slammed his hammer against the glass and the entire prison shook. Loki froze for a moment but when only a crack appeared, he grinned. He winked at her and she scowled, feeling the cold of the gun against her temple.