xxviii. tables turned

STEVE.

That was Sam's first thought. She shoved toward the door and left both Tony's and Thor's shouts behind, racing down the stairs. Steve had stormed outside earlier; unaware of the Winter Soldier's attack.

"Casper!"

She raced into the living room, where the others were scrambling for their weapons. Wilson had vanished and Bruce had moved into the corner, looking like he was fighting to stay in control. Natasha stood beside him.

"Clarence, what the hell was that?"

"HYDRA's here."

She straightened. "Barnes?"

"No," Sam grabbed a pistol from the table. The words stuck in her throat. "The Winter Soldier."

"Clarence—"

"Steve's outside."

Sam didn't wait to hear what else Natasha said, starting past Clint. But she paused for a second at the door, giving him a quick look.

"Don't let Bruce turn."

"Don't get yourself killed, Clarence."

Sam forced a smile, though her heart was hammering against her chest. "I doubt Bucky's here alone. Be prepared for HYDRA agents, possibly the STRIKE team."

"Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to put an arrow in Rumlow's eye."

"Stick him good."

Clint saluted and Sam pushed out the door, racing onto the street. The explosion had incited the sound of distant sirens and she had no idea how much time they had before the local authorities stepped in; she doubted that would discourage HYDRA.

Casualties weren't high on their concern list.

A small crowd had gathered outside. Sam started down the street, waving them away as best she could.

"Get out of here! Get out of here, now!"

A gunshot shattered the air. 

Instinct kicked in. 

Sam threw herself behind the nearest car and the bullet shattered the windshield, inciting a series of screams. Another gunshot ricocheted off the street next to her.

Sam scrambled back, flickering out.

The gunshots, at least, had caused enough panic that people were starting to listen. They took off in the opposite direction and she spotted a line of black cars racing down the street. HYDRA, she realized in desperation.

Heading toward Wilson's apartment.

Sam could only hope the others had come prepared enough.

Steve, at the very least, would have to know something was going on. But the pit formed in Sam's stomach realized that if he leaned Bucky was here, nothing was holding him back from giving chase. And she knew the man.