xii. the sacrifice play

A GREEN GIANT VERSUS CHITAURI SLUG showdown wasn't something Sam had ever imagined she'd witness. Then again, she never saw herself fighting aliens in modern-day New York.

So when Bruce flipped the worm-creature like an omelette, she really shouldn't have been so surprised.

But her heart still pounded a hundred times faster.

The second the Chitauri-slug overturned, Tony curved through the air, a dozen shots exploding from the arms and shoulders of his suit. There was a spot underneath the creature— a soft spot. Flesh sizzled and exploded as the shots connected with underbelly and she leaped for cover.

The Leviathan hit the ground, cracking cement and smashing a dozen or so cars flat. Grey goop flew through the air and large pieces of who-knew-what splattered around her.

Sam covered her head, trying to calm her reeling stomach. To the side, she saw Steve ducking under his shield, his face one of distaste. But at least he was protected.

She needed to get herself a shield.

With the ebbing of the Chitarui-worm's pained roar, a sort of surprised silence fell over the air. Sam dared lift her head to see the creature's limp body not ten feet away. All the surrounding Chitauri soldiers had gone still.

She exchanged a look with Steve. Lowering his shield, he grimaced and started forward. She followed, picking carefully through the rubble.

One by one, their group circled up again.

For a long moment, it seemed like the entire raid itself had come to a stop.

But then above, another wave of aliens poured through the portal-- like angry wasps protecting their hive. Sam went rigid and Tony landed beside her, helm flipping open as he followed her gaze.

"That's... not great."

"No offense, but your party sucks, Tony."

Nat stepped back as the horde started toward them. "Guys..."

"Call it, Cap."

Steve hesitated. His eyes snapped from street to street, over the buildings filled with people, and then back toward the oncoming swarm. He straightened his shoulders and set his jaw. "Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment."

Sam swallowed hard.

"Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Shoot anything that makes for the city edge."

The archer nodded. Steve turned toward Tony. "Stark, you get the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or your turn it to ash."

"Roger that."

Clint turned toward him. "Wanna give me a lift?"

"Right." Tony's helm fell back down and his eyes glowed. "Better clench up, Legolas."