xxx. memories

SAM WOKE UP TO SEE STEVE standing in the doorway, watching them quietly. His arms were crossed and his posture was tight, but there was only pain on his face. Tender, sad pain.

She nearly jolted fully awake before remembering the super-soldier asleep on her shoulder. Carefully, she sat up, and Bucky barely shifted.

Steve's face softened even more. He stepped carefully forward.

"Morning, Samantha."

"Hey, Rogers." Her voice was barely a whisper. Bucky shifted a little and she managed to free herself a little more, the man's head lolling against the wall. Steve offered a hand and she took it gratefully, climbing to her feet.

Steve regarded his friend sadly.

"So, he's...?"

She looked at the sleeping man. "He's okay."

"Does he remember anything?"

The man's question was strangled, trembling. Clenching her jaw, Sam's shook her head.

"Nothing beyond the fall. I-I'm sorry, Steve."

Blue eyes cracked. Sam squeezed his hand tightly.

"But we can help him."

"Can we?"

"I really, really hope so."

Steve gazed quietly at the man. Bucky's metal arm was still immobile, his other hand cuffed to the wall. Steve looked like he was seeing a ghost and he still couldn't believe his eyes. He wet his lips. "What's stopping him from becoming the Soldier again?"

"I... I don't know, Steve."

"I hurt him, Samantha."

Sam swallowed hard. "You were defending yourself."

"That doesn't make it any better."

She smothered a wince. Because the words rang true and echoed with the guilt in her heart. She'd done the same and still couldn't stomach it. "I know. But he's here now and we can help him."

Steve squeezed her hand tightly back. Offering a small smile, Sam rested her head on his shoulder and they looked on at their sleeping friend. More than anyting, she hoped she was right. That he'd awake the man who'd fallen asleep.

They took my arm.

Cold rage burned in her gut. Rage and a twinge of fear.

"We can't let them find him," she whispered. "We can't let HYDRA take him back."

"We won't Samantha."

"We can't let anyone take him."

Steve pulled her close and kissed the top of her head gently. Sam closed her eyes and melted into the embrace, accepting the comfort as her heart pounded. "We won't, Samantha. Bucky's not going anywhere."