in his smile

There were so many stars. The night sky was a deep purple, each star like a lamp drifting aimlessly in a sea of drowsy ink.

Remus watched the world sleep from his window. What little of the castle he could see was dark; the rest was curled up in feathered blankets of cloud. Perfectly still, the lake reflected the stars above, it's surface glittering gently.

Never having been a big fan of sleep, Remus sometimes spent his nights reading or writing, or just simply thinking his thoughts and trying to figure his life out.

Someone sighed behind him, turning over along with their dreams.

It was a good time to be awake. A peculiar time, rather isolating and almost sad, but he enjoyed it. There was never a better time for him to think.

And think he did. His thoughts were mainly focused on one thing. Or one boy, actually.

Yep, you guessed it.

Sometimes, he would imagine that Sirius liked him. That he felt the same ridiculous little butterflies and that his palms got sweaty, too. Remus would pretend that Sirius' day got just a little brighter when he was around, just like it was for him. He would pretend that Sirius returned the feelings Remus adamantly refused to have.

Of course, common sense told him it was otherwise. Why would Sirius like him, out of everyone else? What did he have to offer? It was cliché, he knew that, but at the same time there was definitely some truth in it.

Remus smiled wryly to himself. What did he have that could ever tempt Sirius Black?

He jumped as someone behind him groaned. Turning, he watched with wide eyes as Sirius rolled out of his bed.

"Ouch."

"Congratulations, you're a moron."

A black mop of hair popped up from behind the bed. "Moony? Why the hell are you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep."

"Oh." Sirius grabbed his blanket and wrapped it around himself, shuffling over with a half-dead expression on his face.

"Why'd you fall out of bed?"

"The bed was being a prick. I don't like abusive relationships."

Remus laughed quietly. "Well, I can agree with you on that."

"I should hope so." Sitting down on Remus' bed, Sirius looked out of the window too.

"It's very beautiful."

"Yeah."

They sat in silence, watching as a cloud passed over the moon. Remus kept sneaking glances at the other boy. He couldn't help it: Sirius was very beautiful, too.

His dark hair was unusually messy, long strands falling into soft grey eyes. The way he watched the stars with a wide, frank gaze pulled at something in Remus' heart.

"Do you stay awake a lot?" Sirius asked, shaking Remus from his thoughts.

The taller boy frowned in thought. "Sometimes. I don't like sleep."

Sirius turned to him with shocked eyes. "You don't like sleep?"

Remus smiled back a little sadly. "I think too much." He brushed a hand over the scar on his face, smile fading as the memories of an accident slipped into his mind.

Sirius put a hand on his arm, trying to make Remus look at him. He finally did, and was met with Sirius' moon-coloured eyes. There was a sweet expression in them. Something that said 'I'm trying to be here for you' in the most genuine way possible. It was in his smile, too.

"It's okay, Rem. It'll be fine."

"I hope so."

Remus turned back to the window. It was a little darker now: the fog had collected in heavy puddles and dripped sleepily across the grounds.

"Are you still seeing Michael?" Christ, why did he ask that?

"Nah, I broke up with him."

"Oh. Can I ask why?"

Sirius shrugged. "He was boring."

A faintly smug feeling settled in Remus' chest, even though he had absolutely no reason to feel that way.

"Besides, there are better options."

"Such as?"

Sirius shrugged. "Dunno." But Remus could see the blush forming on his tan face. The smugness faded: Sirius liked someone else.

After a little while, Sirius got up, stretching.

"We should sleep."

"Should we?"

"It's only Wednesday, Moons."

"Shame." But he got under the blankets, following Sirius' trek back to his own bed with his eyes.

"Goodnight, Remus."

"Goodnight. Don't fall out of the bed again."

"I make no promises."

Remus fell asleep quite quickly after that, his thoughts slightly slower and a smile on his face.