dreamy looks

Lily whacked James with her book.

"For the last time, we are not going to yell 'WOLFSTAR FOREVER' in the middle of the Great Hall."

"But Lily-flower!" James whined, eyes desperate behind his glasses, "Sirius is too terrified to make a proper move, Remus hasn't actually come out yet and they are both too fucking oblivious for shit!"

In their third year, six noble Gryffindor students - James, Peter, Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, and Alice - formed a squad. A squad for what? Well, their aim was to get Sirius and Remus together.

As you can see, it hadn't worked out particularly well.

"James, sweetie, what on Earth makes you think that's going to work?" asked Marlene, exchanging incredulous looks with the others. "Should I call for Madame Pomfrey?"

"Madame Pomfrey can cure many things," Peter agreed. "Not this though," he added.

"Well then come up with a better idea!"

There was silence.

"Okay, so let's just talk about the two of them for a bit," suggested Alice, looking around.

James sat up straighter. "Oh my gosh, so do you know what happened in History yesterday?" he gushed.

Stopping (for dramatic effect), he glanced around with an excited expression.

"Well, you see," James continued, looking happily at his nails, "I sit directly behind those two knobheads, and you would not believe how many times they were glancing at each other. There was so much blushing. It was insanely adorable."

Everyone flopped backward with dreamy looks on their faces. Dorcas was fanning herself. Lily had buried her head into a pillow.

Well, I say everyone. Peter merely rolled his eyes, shaking his head at his overly-romantic friends.

"Hey, guys," he stage-whispered, "Dunno if you noticed, but they actually do that all the fucking time."

"I know," Marlene sighed, resting her head on Dorcas' shoulder, "But it is still a beautiful thing to witness."

No one disagreed with that.

After another minute or two of blissful silence, Lily stood up, brushing down her skirt.

"Well, my fellow shippers, I'm afraid I have to go to the art studio."

"Will Sirius be there?" asked Alice, blinking her big brown eyes hopefully.

"Sadly, yes."

***

"So, my fine ginger friend, you have, like me, forgotten to do the homework?"

Lily smiled in a dead sort of way. "Of course, gas-ball, which is why I am here."

Sirius nodded. "Touché."

They both grabbed some paper and watercolour paints, and then sat at a table together.

"What was the homework again?"

Lily thought for a second. "Paint an eye using a reference."

She pulled out her phone, skipping through pictures until she found the right one. Sirius peered at the image, frowning.

"That looks familiar."

"Does it?" Lily replied airily, though she silently prayed that he wouldn't figure out whose eye it was.

Sirius gave her a look, but decided not to comment any further.

He then pulled out his own phone, selected an image, and then started to sketch it out lightly.

Lil squinted at the reference Sirius was using. "Is that Remus' eye?"

Sirius turned red. "O-of course not, what are you on..." He was staring at his paper with an intensely-focused gaze. Lily inwardly fist-bumped herself. You know the feeling.

Casual as anything, Lily started to casually mix colours and brought up a highly casual topic of conversation.

"Did you hear, by the way? Rosaline Ameeds has a huge crush on our boy Remmie." Not true.

Sirius visibly tensed. "Really?" His voice was forcedly normal.

Lily nodded, pretending not to care as she continued: "Apparently she's planning on asking him out at some point." Very not true.

Gripping his pencil, Sirius muttered, "He's too good for her."

"Oh, what's this? You sound bitter, Mr Black." Lily knew her voice was too smug. She didn't care.

"I'm not bitter," said Sirius bitterly.

"Mhm, sure, I believe you." She didn't believe him.

"I hate you so much."

She nodded. "I know."

The silence after that was odd: Sirius seemed like he wanted to talk, Lily seemed like she wanted to listen. They were both relieved when Remus walked in, a couple of books under his arm.

"Did you both forget to do your homework?"

"What are you, psychic?" But Sirius was smiling now, moving over to make space for the taller boy.

"Don't bet on it." Remus sat down, putting his head on his arms, slumped forward on the table.

Sirius patted him gently. "You okay?"

"Didn't sleep," came the muffled reply.

Lily stared. "It's a Sunday, you could have slept in."

Remus looked up, eyebrows scrunched together. "I had stuff to do."

"Like?"

He shrugged, looking sheepish. "Stuff."

It was then that Lily noticed Sirius was discreetly trying to cover up his drawing. Oh yeah. She'd forgotten about that.

Sirius looked at her with eyes that screamed 'help me'.

"Oh, Remus, darling, could you get me some fresh water please?"

"Do I have to?"

"For me." She fluttered her eyelashes.

He groaned. "Fine."

As Remus left, Sirius scowled at the smiling redhead, getting some more paper.

"I still hate you."

"Ah, but sweetheart," Lily said brightly, hooking an arm around Sirius' neck, "It wouldn't be us if you didn't! That's what makes us special."

Sirius cracked a tiny, genuine smile. "I suppose it is."