a beautiful world

There was something wonderful about a summer evening, like the sunlight that dyed the trees ochre and the warmth that settled upon the grass. The way the lake's surface would glitter as every ripple was set alight.

And there was something even more beautiful in the amber eyes of a certain boy, who was leaning against a tree with a mug of hot, sweet tea beside him.

Sirius could have spent the rest of his life there, beside Remus, watching him read as the lake dozed in front of them.

And Remus could have spent the rest of his life there, Sirius sitting just too close to his side, a hand wrapped around the handle of his own mug.

The breeze dropped slightly, ruffling the grass.

Over the last week or so, Sirius had found his dreams wrecked with thoughts of Remus. His mind would simply not stop thinking about him. His heart would simply not stop beating for him.

Remus hadn't helped. At all. He had become even more adorable after the competition, smiling more, touching more, making everything too confusing for Sirius to comprehend. Christ.

"How long until the holidays?" Remus asked.

"A month or so."

"Huh."

And they fell back into the lull that had chased them everywhere, refusing to leave until they obeyed it. A lull which now clung to their speech and their every move.

During the chaos of the exams, there had been barely enough time to even breathe. Everyone was exhausted. Particularly Remus, who had worked ridiculously hard at ridiculous times during the night. Now that it was all over, Sirius was adamant that Remus should rest.

Which is why they were spending the evening sitting under the yellow trees, reading books and drinking tea, talking only when necessary, letting time slip past like water falling through fingers.

"OW!"

Remus jumped. "Are you okay?"

Sirius winced, putting down his mug. "I burnt my lip." Sure enough, there was a small red mark staining his mouth.

Remus smiled. "Idiot."

"Shut up."

"Aw," he cooed. "Shall I kiss it better?" He was joking.

Sirius tilted his head to one side, smirking. "Maybe you should." He was joking, too.

So when their lips touched, it came as quite a surprise.

To both of them, although Remus (without thinking) had leaned forward.

Remus closed his eyes, brushing his chapped mouth against Sirius' smooth one. And Sirius kept his eyes open, every nerve in his body focussed entirely on the ragged skin that was pressed against his lips.

It was so soft. So, so soft, so gentle - Remus' kiss was like an exhale, and lasted about as long.

And then Remus pulled away. Shit.

Sirius had forgotten to breathe. Or blink. He wasn't sure if his heart was even beating.

They sat there, staring at each other, amber eyes wide, grey eyes wider.

A stupid urge to smile overtook Remus, and he had to bite the inside of his cheeks to prevent it from spreading across his face. This was probably not the time for it.

He couldn't stop the little voice in his head yelling FUCKING FINALLY at him, though. But perhaps that was okay.

Sirius, on the other hand, couldn't hear anything at all. Everything was silent. Heavily, stupidly silent.