a window

"He doesn't love me."

"You don't know that."

"I want to throw myself out a window."

"Or, hear me out, you could, you know... tell him how you feel?"

Sirius threw a pillow at James' head. "That's the worst idea you've ever come up with."

A gasp. "You have offended me greatly, young sir!" Naturally, James threw the pillow back. It hit the mark, too.

Groaning, Sirius fell face-first onto the bed. James sighed.

"Mate, he's not gonna love you if you keep being an absolute prick."

"He's being a prick," was Sirius' muffled reply.

"It's been two weeks."

"And four days."

"This is stupid."

Sirius heard James walk towards the door. He twisted his head slightly, watching his friend go.

Before walking out, James turned back, face serious [A/N: any 'Sirius' comments and I throw you out a window]. "Sirius, I know you love him. And I'm fairly sure he loves you too."

A sigh. "You don't know that."

"I don't," James agreed. "But I do know that you two could be much happier than you are right now."

Sirius didn't reply. What was there to say? "Just..." James paused. "Please try?"

"Or what?"

"Or I'm going to lock the two of you in a closet until you at least kiss."

Sirius snorted. "At least?"

"Well, if you wanna fuck, that's cool too."

"Son of a - " But James was gone.

Life wasn't going well. Their exams were less than three months away. Regulus still wasn't talking to him. And then there was Remus.

Remus.

Remus, Remus, Remus.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemus.

That adorable cactus-fucker was killing him.

Turning over onto his side, Sirius let his eyes drift to Remus' bed. Usually so tidy, it was strewn with paper and pen-lids and a mildly alarming amount of chocolate wrappers. The blankets were tangled in a great heap, drooping sleepily onto the floor.

It was perfectly Remus and perfectly not-Remus, and the rare sight was so painfully familiar that Sirius felt like crying.

God, he missed him. He saw Remus everyday, and yet their conversation was harsh and stilted. They sat beside each other most lessons, but where before they had almost always touched in some way, they now stuck carefully to their own sides.

And it hurt. It really, really hurt.

"Peter, are you in - oh."