✼ T W E N T Y S I X

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX The Impossible Astronauts

        A TELEPHONE RINGS in the Oval Office, Nixon runs to get it

A TELEPHONE RINGS in the Oval Office, Nixon runs to get it. "Hello? Hello, this is the President," he says shakily into the receiver. "Hello, this is the President of the United States. Who is this? Is it you two again?"

"Look behind you." Says a children's voice

Nixon breaths out a fearful breath. This is the umpteenth call he's had. "How did you get this number?" He asks the child. "This is my private line. How did you get through?"

"They're everwhere, all the time," cries a second child's voice. This voice sounds suspiciously like the one Nixon heard when he first answered this call, but it's definitely a different voice. "We see them every day, but you have to look behind you."

A tape recorder stands on Nixon's desk, he's recording all of this.

Without looking behind him, Nixon says, "There is nothing behind me. How did you get this number?"

"The spacemen told us." The children cried in unison.

"What spaceman?"

"It doesn't matter. We're telling you about monsters." The first child said.

"Please, you must look behind you." Said the second child.

"Young ladies, there are no monsters in the Oval Office." Nixon says harshly before ending the call. He leans back in his chair and as he does so, a Silence can be seen behind him.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

On a highway in America, a school bus stops. Out walk Amy and Rory Williams, backpacks strapped to their backs and exhausted smiles on their faces. "Thanks!" Amy yells to the bus driver as she and Rory wave the bus away.

As the bus drives away, Amy turns to her husband. "This is it, yeah? The right place?"

Rory looked around. "Nowhere, middle of? Yeah, this it."