III - knowing me

David's pov:

I lazily stretched my arms rubbing the sleep off my eyes. I haven’t open my eyes yet; still I know I’m not in my room. The blanket covering me up was not mine, it was more soft than mine; smelling like pepper with a hint of a fruit, something sour like lime yet so fresh and energetic, it smells like…I don’t know…manly?

I opened my eyes wide to see him closing both his eyes, leaning back on the sofa. I startled a little making him wake up.

“hey David, I didn’t mean to scare you, yo-…you were sleeping and an-“ he stuttered

“I’m not scared” he sight in relief. I really was not scared of him. I know I should, for some reason, I felt somewhat save in his presence.

“tea?” he offered

“yes please” I’m hungry by the way. What time is it? His curtains were so thick to see through the light outside.

I take a look of what surrounds me. It was most like all other house, except that there’s nothing that shouldn’t be there. It was simple, neat and clean. He doesn’t have much to decorate the wall, every little thing he have had been arranged orderly. Is he all alone in this house? That will be crazy.

He came back to where I’m sitting with a tray of tea and some biscuits. I never notice he wear a blue jeans with long sleeve black top until then, he look nice. Should I use that word?

He put them at the table. There was one cupcake which look really good to eat. I reached out to take a biscuit. As if he read my mind, he handed me the the cupcake. I smiled shyly taking it from him, I really really like cakes, they sweeten the sourness of my life. God…he is a very nice man after all.

“do you live here?” what a stupid way to start a conversation while i'm at his house.  really Walliams? that’s all you can come up with? “…I mean, all by yourself?”

“yes….” He took a sip of his cup. Man, he drink a damn coffee. We sat like that for awhile, drinking our own cup in silence. I should feel uncomfortable, being in a stranger house, not stranger completely, sitting with bare feet and two buttons down my shirt, I feel relaxed.

I was really glad he didn’t push me with so many questions right away. Seeing me break down for twice, well I knew he will have lot of questions inside his head. So, I choose to be the first to break the silence
“don’t look me like that….i’m fine”

“no, you’re not” he replied bluntly, staring me straight ahead

I let out a sigh “just a little problem with my swimming, no big deal”

“you swim?” he raise an eyebrow

“yeah, used to”

“what bout now?”

“no, I’m not gonna swim anymore from today” I pursed my lips to control myself

“why not?”

“because…..because I don’t want to anymore okay?” I raise my voice, irritating to talk about this subject

“okay…if you say so” he put down his cup and lean on the sofa

“hey…I didn’t mean to be rude, I don’t want to talk about it right now, that’s all” he seemed to nod “I’ll tell you when I’m ready”

“okay” he smiled at me, that was all I need to calm me down

“what time is it?” I asked, i know my sister will be worried the hell out of me

“past six by ten”

“shit….” I know I shouldn’t use that word in front of him

He looked at me “come on, put on your shoes…I’ll get my car, don’t want to throw to jail for abducting a kid”

“hey….i’m not kid” I pout, not really mad. I know I’m a kid compared to him “and you know what…I can go home on my own”

“no you can’t…you can’t take a cab” we both went silent “…what if that driver is the one abducting you” he said with a smirk

“I don’t want to be a burden for you” I mumbled lowering my head. I had no idea where I am to walk home, I didn’t have any money to hire a cab either; the boys were always taking my lunch money away. I had no choice; still I didn’t want him to drive me home. He did once, and now he treat me an afternoon tea, that was more than enough for someone like me.

He came closer to me, lifting my chin with his hand, caressing my cheek with his thumb. That was when I felt butterflies in my stomach. My cheek burned beet root red when he stared at me with those dark eyes “Wallimas, you never are and never will be a burden to me. I know we meet just a few days ago, not in the nicest way” he chuckled “the first day I saw you, I already know that I should be around you like you should be with me. So, baby boy, always know that you can come to me, you can cry and I’ll hold you. Don’t live your life afraid of something else that didn’t matter to you…okay? ”

Tears beginning to welled up in my eyes, there was a lump in my throat, I can’t speak a word so I nod. “good…” he gave me a small smile and leave the room

How long had it been since someone had said something nice like that to me? He’s like...he know everything about me, my pain and sadness. He sound like he care about me a lot. But why did he care so much?

“young man....”

“I’m coming”

----------------x---------------

All my emotions were washed away during the whole ride. We talked all the way home, the talking part was done usually by me. He asked if my mum would kill him or not which I assured him she wouldn’t. I told him that since my mum and dad will come home from work around 7, it’s only my sister there at home. I told him all about my family which is not a very long topic.

He let me turn on the radio and there sing my favourite band ‘the rolling stone’ I sing all my heart out, in front of him, and I’m not embarrassed anymore.

I take a shower longer than my usual. Thinking about how my day went. I feel at ease, it was like all my burdens and worries were lifted off from my shoulder. They’re not off my shoulder, literally, but I felt like I have places I could go and rest.

About what he said at his house, I can’t stop playing on and on in my head. All his words were so sweet, that I didn’t expect to come from a grumpy man like him. And when I replay his word ‘baby boy’ it send shiver down my spine. God…don’t make me feel this way, it feels so good that it scares me.

I help my sister preparing dinner, I can’t stop grinning. I hummed the songs I sang inside his car, I’m happy. My sister glared at me a couple of times like I’m an alien, she right, I’m not normal right now.

I quickly finished my dinner. My mum called us not to wait for them, so before my sister show her power, I ran up straight to my room. I can’t wait tomorrow; I want to see him so bad. It’s strange, cause when I woke up this morning, I had no idea who this man is; now I want to wake up fast to see him. He’s strange, or me?