Chapter 3- A Friend in Hell

Clary's P.O.V.

As soon as I walk into Herondale High, I immediately see why people think this place is amazing. You can tell by just looking at the walls and ceilings that this place was built in the 1800s and been cared for enough that it was still standing and looking almost new. I walk to the office to pick up my schedule because that's where the principal told me to go when my mom and I came in for my meeting with the administration about my scholarship and decision to stay off-campus. When I walk in, I see a hot guy with black hair, blue eyes, and an amazing bone structure. (A/N I know Matthew Daddario doesn't have blue eyes but Alec has them in the book so we are going to pretend.) He glances over me before looking away, something that almost never happens, and I decide that I like mister tall, dark, and handsome for not trying to hit on me. The door to the principal's office opens and a tall student with tan skin, black, spiky hair, and yellow eyes that resemble those a cat might have walks out. I see mister tall dark and handsome look him up and down with wide eyes before noticing my glance and turning away blushing. Well, that may explain the whole not hitting on me thing I decide he still might make a good friend. Before I can start a conversation, however, the secretary asks my name before handing me my schedule and telling me to wait there while she made a call. I look to the side hoping to introduce myself to the two boys in the office but they are already gone.

The secretary tells me to wait in the office for my student tour guide to come. I take one of the comfy chairs and wait for a few minutes before a boy with black hair runs into the office to talk to the secretary who tells him that the student he is supposed to be escorting around is behind him. He turns around and I stare into a pair of familiar brown eyes. "Sebastian?" I ask surprised that he is here. He seems equally surprised to see me.

"Clary, I thought you said you went to a school in Brooklyn. What are you doing here at Herondale Academy?" Sebastion seems nervous that I am here but I don't know why. Sebastion and I dated for a couple of months last year and everything was great but we decided that we were better off friends because that was really as far as our attraction went. The break up was very amicable and we even hung out a few times this summer. I try to think of where he said he went to school before realizing that he never did say.

"Why didn't you tell me that you went to Herondale Academy?" I say using the actual name of the school that almost nobody used. If they were talking about the school most people said Herondale High in fact that's what Seb and I used to call it when we would make fun of the people who went here. Why would he make fun of people who went here if he went here?

"You always seemed to hate the idea of the school and I didn't want you to hate me too." Sebastion turns his head trying to hide his blush. "I thought you may have had something against people with money because your family doesn't have a lot."

I laugh at this and he gives me a confused look. "Seb when we were dating I paid for almost as many dates as you did and you've seen my house. My family does have money we just don't like to rub it in people's faces and I would've liked you even if you owned all of New York." He smiles at this before offering me his hand. I take it and get up.

"Well, Clarissa Morgenstern off we go as I walk you to all your classes today."

"It's Clary Fairchild, and don't you have to go to your own classes?"

"Of course which is why they picked someone with the exact same schedule as you to show you around." He laughs at the realization on my face and I am reminded of why I liked him. I grab my bag off the ground and follow him to Math, my first class of the day.