Chapter 36- Thanksgiving Dinner

Josette's P.O.V.

On November 28, I met Raphael at the front of the school and he grabbed my hand leading me out to his car where his mother and siblings were waiting. When we got into the car his mom asked who his "little friend" was while his siblings all said some version of "Raphael has a girlfriend oooh." Raphael turned to the three of them and told them to shut up in his annoyed voice. I had only known Raphael a short time but I was proud to say I had learned to decipher his moods by his voice. He usually talked in a very snarky tone that made people think he was constantly angry which is what he wanted but if you pay close attention you can hear the slight variation and tell his mood. 

Seeing him with his siblings made me laugh. They had the relationship I had always hoped I would have with Jace. Thinking about Jace made me sad because of everything that happened that night a few days ago so I push him out my mind. I hear Raphael's mom, who introduced herself as Guadalupe, say, "Ella tiene una risa muy bonita, hijo mío. Creo que has encontrado uno bueno." I have to admit I don't know much Spanish but I know bonita means beautiful which makes me blush slightly whereas Raphael goes bright red and chastises her for whatever she said. As we drive to the Santiago house, Guadalupe asks me questions about where I'm from and how I ended up at Herondale High.

"Oh, actually I was born in America but I was adopted when I was three and moved to Paris so I speak both languages fluently," as I say this Raphael mutters some comment about me having a perfect accent in both languages which makes his mother laugh. "As for how I ended up at Herondale," I continue. "I went to the school in Paris called the Paris Institute but it was really more for the arts and by arts, they meant acting and modeling so they decided I had enough of an education because I excelled at those things apparently."

"Well I can see how you would, you're a very beautiful young lady. I have to say, most kids your age would've just graduated, you must truly value your education."

"Oh, well once I moved back to America I would've had to test out of my final year of high school to graduate so I figured I might as well go. I chose Herondale because they've always been trying to get me to go there, you know a Herondale that's also a genius was like a gold mine in their eyes but my parents didn't want me and I didn't want to go to their school. After the Paris Institute started talking about my education being through, my dads started talking about me going to Herondale but I probably wouldn't have if they hadn't died. I wanted to honor their wishes and I didn't know where else to go so here I am." 

Guadalupe gives me a concerned look. "Why would you think your parents don't love you, sweetheart, most parents give up their children because they believe it's what's best."

I want to be polite because I want Raphael's mom to like me but I can't seem to stop my retort, "Well most parents don't give their child up when she's three years old and keep their other kid so their daughter thinks there is something wrong with her." Guadalupe looks at me with a mix of pity and guilt but before she can say anything Raphael speaks. 

"Wait I didn't know you were a Herondale. I thought your last name was Wayland. Does this mean your related to Jace because I thought you hated him."

His rapid questions make me laugh because Raphael isn't a particularly curious person and when he is curious, he usually doesn't ask for answers he searches for them behind your back so you don't know that he knows your secret. "My last name is Wayland because that was my adoptive dads' last name. As for Jace, he's my brother and I don't hate him he's my brother we just don't get along very well."

"That's sad," says Raphael's youngest brother whose about 6. "Everybody should get along with their siblings who else will always be there for them." I want to say Jace has never been there for me but decide maybe the kid is right. Maybe I should expect Jace to act like a child, he still is one, hell I still am one, so how can I punish him for acting like a kid, granted a much younger kid, but still. I think about this as I head into the house and follow Guadalupe into the kitchen asking if she needs any help.

_____

In the end, Guadalupe let me make the green bean casserole and the stuffing. As it turned out I must have done a pretty good job because everyone loved it. Guadalupe asked if I made dinner with my dads a lot before they passed. "Not really. They had to move back to America when I was 10 but I didn't want to leave Paris and my friends plus I went to a boarding school so they didn't have to worry about me."

"Oh well, you must have helped them cook Thanksgiving dinner. They do celebrate Thanksgiving in France correct?" She asks.

I laugh, "Yes they do celebrate it but most of the time my dads couldn't get back. We celebrated Christmas and my birthday together every year but the other holidays were up in the air. However, when we did celebrate Thanksgiving together I would go to our Paris house and cook for us and make sure the turkey was thawed for them to cook when they arrived."

"So did you just eat Thanksgiving with your friends on the holiday then," she wondered.

I didn't want to tell the truth but she was staring at me so intently I figured she would see right through a lie. "No, I didn't want to burden them by telling them my parents couldn't make it so I pretended my dads were coming and then I usually just ate a pack of Ramen noodles or something." I could see the pity in her eyes and immediately regret telling the truth.

Before she could ask more questions, Raphael asks if we can be excused since we were both done. Guadalupe told us to take our plates and leave the door of his bedroom open as well as that she would tell us when we had to leave to take us back to the school. After we took our plates to the kitchen, we headed to Raphael's room as we were walking I turned to him. "Thanks for that, getting me out of there I mean."

"It's okay I understand I hate it when she asks me questions like that. Usually, she's grilling me about when I'll get a girlfriend."

"Is that why you brought me. So she would think you had a girlfriend, it's okay if you did." He nods. "Do you not want a girlfriend because you want a boyfriend?" I think he might find this question nosey but he doesn't.

"I don't like anyone actually."

"Like right now or....?"

"I don't really see people in a... what's the word?"

"Sexual way?"

"Yeah."

"So you're asexual?"

"Yeah, I guess if that's what it's called."

"It is and it's okay, you can let your mom believe we're dating as long as you want. I could certainly do worse than you."

"Most people would disagree."

"Most people are stupid and it would do you well to remember that Mr. Santiago," I laugh before going into his room where we talked for hours until his mom said it was time to go.