Chapter 33- Where Did She Go?

Clary's P.O.V.

Ever since Jace hooked up with Amanda after a party I have hated them but if I'm being honest I thought I was the only one with bad luck when it comes to parties. The party tonight proved that I was terribly wrong. It started off normal enough. I rode to the party with Alec as the designated driver. When we go there I thought the wildest thing that was going to happen is that Simon and Jonathan showed up wanted Izzy to make a decision. I didn't get to see how that turned out because Jace took me to get a drink and then we danced. After a while, Jace said he needed some air so I went to the bathroom. When I came back I ran into Magnus, Alec, Jake, and Zach. Magnus asked if I knew where Jace was and it sounded urgent so I said he went outback for some air. They all took off towards the back so I followed. Somewhere along we picked up Izzy, Jon, and Si but I didn't notice because I found Jace on a balcony. He was up there with Josette who I didn't even know was at the party and some guy who looked older than us.

"Shit that's Gus," said Magnus. I see Alec shoot him a confused look but before he can ask anything Jake sneers at Magnus.

"Wow, ya think. Thanks for the observation captain obvious." He seemed angry but I could see through it, he was worried. That made me start worrying and what Zach said didn't help.

"You don't think he would really threaten Jace right? I mean he would just use him to get Settie's attention right?"

"Oh he would I'm just worried Josie will choose revenge over Jace," answered Magnus.

Jake glared at him again. "Shut the fuck up Magnus you know damn well she would die for any of her friends. You used to be one remember?" I was about to ask when he meant by used to but then Jace came flying off the balcony.

My first thought was At least it's over a pool. Then I realized it was the middle of November and there was a plastic cover that would ensure Jace would drown and suddenly I was surging forward trying to help him but Alec grabbed me. "Don't Clary. He wouldn't want you to die saving him and no matter how good of a swimmer you are, chances are you won't save him." 

"There's only one person who would have a chance and I'm pretty sure if she was going to jump she would've," adds Magnus. This thought isn't comforting and I want to try and help Jace again when I see Josette dive off the balcony and into the pool. She's underwater for about 4 minutes and I'm impressed she can hold her breath that long when I worry that maybe she can't and even if she can, Jace has been down there longer and what if he can't? Before I can worry too much, Josette pops out of the water hauling Jace with her. We all crowd around them as Jo performs CPR. I didn't know she knew CPR but I'm glad she does because I don't think any of us do.

After a few minutes Jace spits up the water that was in his lungs and soon enough he's yelling about Josie kissing him and she's telling him she gave him CPR to save his life. I start to approach Jace and tell him how happy I am that he's okay when he turns towards me and focuses on someone past my shoulder. "You, this is your fault. You say you hate me because of the way I treat people but what about you I almost died because you chose the wrong girl and it almost got my sister and me killed."

I'm completely shocked. I suddenly remember the conversation he had with Josie about Gus and Magnus and then I remember her talking about her and Jace's connection. Right as I put the pieces together, Izzy gasps and asks, "Josette is your sister?"

Jace and Josie both pale before Jace turns to Jo and starts yelling at her saying nobody was supposed to find out and none of this would've happened if she would've just stayed gone. I expect Josette to yell right back at him but when I turn to her I'm shocked to see the tears glistening in her eyes before she takes off running. I can tell Jace saw them too and is just as shocked because he just sits on the grass as Jake and Zach turn and run after Josie.

We all stand there for a few more minutes before Magnus lays into Jace. "What the hell you asshat?" He yells. "She just saved your life and that's how you repay her? You're the idiot that told everyone your big secret just like you were the one that kept it in the first place. None of this was her fault! If it was anyone besides Camille's it was mine. I was the idiot that let her screw me over and Josette helped me and then I told her I didn't need her help. This was my fault not hers. God how can you still be such a dick to her even after all this time. She could make excuses for a twelve year old but I don't know about a 15 year old." 

He starts to walk away when Izzy speaks up. "Wait, you're right Magnus. Jace shouldn't have acted like that but you can't leave. We need to find Josette and make sure she's okay." He agrees and we go to the front and look for a few minutes before Alec finds her car.

"Okay so she obviously walked somewhere so she couldn't have gone very far right?" I ask. 

"Actually she probably did and I think I know where she went," says Jace. We all turn to him and he tells Alec to drive to some address. 

The drive took a few minutes but it wasn't that far. We get out of the car and I see the sign. "By the Angel Jace. Why would she be at a strip club?" I ask. He turns and looks at me with confusion.

"How do you know it's a strip club?"

"Look at the sign. Why would she be here."

"Her friend Eddie owns the place. She always felt safe with the Wrights," answers Magnus. We follow him to the door but when we get inside it's not a strip club, it's a casino.

"What the hell when did he change it from a strip joint to a casino," wonders Jace.

"It's probably both. Eddie's like that," replies Magnus before walking deeper into the casino. He walks a couple steps before stopping. I follow his gaze and see Josette. She's sitting at what I would guess to be the high rollers table except she doesn't look like she's playing. She has a blanket around her and a tall guy with sandy hair is sitting next to her hugging her. By the way she's nodding I can tell he's whispering to her. We approach the table slowly we get close enough to hear Josette say, "You can't close up you need the money. You sleep here right? In the back?" I see him nod. "I'll just go back there and sleep while you run the club." He agrees and she gets up. Within seconds Zach is there and he puts his arm around her leading her away. 

Suddenly I feel Jace grab my arm and pull me away. I let him lead me away until we were standing in a dark corner of the casino. "Okay we need a plan to get her because I get the feeling they aren't just gonna let us take her back to the school after I upset her," Jace tells us. 

"Good they shouldn't you were a dick to her," retorts Izzy. 

"Jace is right, Iz. But that guy she was talking seems like the owner and he might notice us following her," explains Alec.

"So let's distract him." I say. "He'll probably recognize Jace or Magnus because they knew Josie before they won't recognize Alec, Jon, and me. We go distract him at poker and Jace, Magnus, Izzy and Simon go get Josie."

"Why do we have to take the nerd?" Questions Jace. 

I glare at him before answering, "Because Josette's probably pissed at you and Simon's nice and good at convincing people."

Alec cuts in, "That's great but how are we gonna distract that Eddie guy at poker."

Jonathan shoots him a mischievous smile before saying, "Clary here is a genius at poker."

"Right but that's the high rollers table I doubt you have enough money to join let alone bet with." Interjects Jace.

Jonathan and Simon laugh while I turn to Jace. "You aren't the only one with secrets Jace. I'm rich I think I can afford it." Jonathan starts to agree before he says he forgot his wallet at home. Jace laughs before giving me some money and telling me not to lose it. "No promises." I turn around and head towards the table hoping Josie agrees to go with them. I also cast a silent prayer that Izzy doesn't kill Jace before they get to the room. We arrive at the table and I cash in. The cards get dealt and I work on playing one of the games I'm best at.