Chapter 26- An "Adult" Conversation

Josette's P.O.V.

After I got the medicine for Jake's aunt I returned to school and fell into a deep sleep. I hate deep sleeps because the deeper the sleep the worse the nightmare. I was right at the worse part when a knock on my door woke me up. I look at the clock and see it's 2 am meaning I probably would've woken up in a sweat soon anyway, I go open the door thankful for a distraction. Or at least I was until I saw what the distraction was, or more specifically who.

Standing on the other side of the door is Magnus. I'm still groggy from sleep so it takes a second before I ask, "Magnus what are you doing here."

This apparently wasn't the right thing to say because Magnus goes off. "What am I doing here. What are you doing here Josette? Why did you leave Paris and come to a school you've always hated? To make sure that whatever secrets your keeping about Camille stay secret? I might've missed a little of the conversation but I heard enough to know you're the reason she left Paris. You're the reason she left me."

It takes me a minute to process everything he says and then I wonder how he heard the conversation I had with Zach until I realize him and Jace must have followed me. This really sets me off and then I process he's mad at me because I saved him from that whore Camille and I blow a gasket. I laugh coldly. "You're right I am the reason Camille left. I told her to get the fuck out of my city and never contact you again after what she did."

"What did she do huh, Josette? What was so bad that Josette Wayland, or whatever the fuck you want to be called, wouldn't go near it?"

I don't know why but what he said stung and I want to hurt him back so I tell him the one thing I know will destroy him: the truth. "Fine, you want to know Magnus? I'll tell you. Camille and I got to talking you know one criminal to another and she told me she didn't love you and that you annoyed her because you yapped at her heels like a puppy." I can tell from his face that this is hurting him so I keep going. "But you see you were my friend at the time and you know how I get about my friends so I asked why she didn't just break up with you and she said it was because she knew you loved her so much you would do anything she told you to. So she decided to test it. She gave you some of the drugs she was trafficking, did you know she was an international drug deal? No? I didn't think so." I see his face begin to crumble and I want to make him hurt worse. "She said you made the drop and you were none the wiser and you came right back like the loyal puppy you were. In fact, she said it was kind of pathetic so I told her to leave and leave you alone. And I didn't tell you because I didn't want to hurt you in fact I'm still protecting you from Camille and her drug buddies because they weren't happy that I shut them down especially because I did it for you but no more, I think you can handle yourself because you're a big boy right, Magnus?"

He takes this in. I know he doesn't want to believe it and makes a last-ditch effort to disprove me. "If that's true then why did you move here. Obviously, you had a pretty amazing set up in Paris. It wasn't to protect me because you only gave me another chance because you care about Alec so don't try to lie."

For some reason, this pushes me over the edge and I hate him. I've never felt hatred like this not even for my parents but worst of all, the dam inside me breaks and tears start streaming down my face. Magnus jerks back in shock as I bite out my answer. "You wanna know why I moved here. Maybe you should've asked instead of being so damn conceited just like always. You only ever think about yourself, Magnus. I didn't move here for you I didn't even know you were here asshole because you wouldn't return my calls or did you already forget. I left Paris because the memories there were worse than the memories here because I know now that my parents never loved me but Michael and Raziel Wayland loved me with everything they had and they wanted me to come here and get an education that wasn't all about acting or modeling. I came here because it's what they wanted and I figured it was what I owed them after they died." I see the realization hit him. "That's right Magnus I needed my best friend because my dads died and yet no matter how much I was there for you after you had to go live with your dad, after I helped you through it and you LEFT me for CAMILLE you couldn't even pick up the goddamn PHONE!" By the end I'm shouting so I push past him closing my door. I leave him standing in front of my room shocked by my revelation while I hurry away wishing I was dead too.