Chapter 48- Betrayal Cuts Deep

One Month Later

Clary's P.O.V.

With school back in full swing, parties are also in full swing. Izzy is constantly getting dolled up and meeting with Josie to go to parties for the weekend. According to Izzy, this is Jace's favorite season but he hasn't been much for parties this year. She says it's because of me, that I make him happier which I am glad for. Jo thinks it's because he is worried about seeing Amanda or Anthony and getting into a fight. I have to say I'm more inclined to the theory of the latter. 

In the past month, Josette and Alec have not only made up but got closer than they were before like oddly closer. They kind of remind me of how Josette and Magnus were which makes me wonder if she told him the story of her pregnancy like she told me. Despite everything in me wanting to tell Jace what his sister has been through, I've refrained and kept her secret as she asked so the thought that Alec is helping her brings me great comfort. Alec is coming out of his shell more as a result of their friendship. Before he mostly wore clothes that Izzy said he has owned since his growth spurt but now he's dressed in new clothes with style that just screams Josette. Jace is happy at Alec's newfound style as well as his newfound confidence so I can't help but be happy for him as well.

There was a giant party Saturday, apparently, the biggest of the year and Izzy begged me to drag Jace out. Josette promised her and Alec would help keep his temper in check if we came so I agreed. We had a pretty good time for the couple of hours we were there but then Jace said he wanted to leave and we had our own fun in his dorm room for the rest of the night. When I woke up I felt a sense of dread I couldn't explain. It was felt the same way as the night Luke showed up and told us my dad was dead. I shrugged it off, however, chalking it up to worry about the fact that we left Josie and Alec there while they were both pretty drunk. I told Jace that we should take them with us but he said Alec barely ever got to unwind and I had to admit, Alec made a pretty funny drunk.

 The whole day I couldn't help but feel like something was off. That could just be from the fact that Amanda kept staring me down and then smirking when I looked her way like she knew something I didn't. It worried me what she might be planning and I had horrible scenarios running through my head of what she could do yet the reality was much worse.

_______

Jace and I were on our way to lunch when he said he forgot his French book in his locker and didn't want to push through the crowds after lunch to get it. I offered to go with him but he told me I could go ahead to the cafeteria telling me to get him whatever I was getting and use his account for us both and he would meet me in the cafeteria. I agreed and got our lunch.

I had just sat down at my table when suddenly somebody slid in next to me. I turned my head ready to greet Izzy or Josette knowing Jace couldn't have gotten to the cafeteria so fast when I came face to face with Amanda. "Hey Clare," she said stealing a fry off Jace's tray in front of her.

"It's Clary, actually," I say wondering what she is doing. I can feel the stares of the people in the cafeteria itching for a fight between the two of us but I won't sink to her level.

"Whatever I was just wondering how it must feel to be so stupid." I know she is baiting me and I don't want to fall for it but I start to worry she did something with Jace. I know it would be a trick but I can't help the sinking feeling in my stomach.

Before I can stop myself, I ask, "What the hell are you talking about Amanda?"

She laughs. "Oh, well I would feel stupid if I trusted a friend who told all my darkest secrets to a whole party." Now I'm confused. She can obviously tell I have no idea what she is talking about so she whips out her phone and pulls up a video. "Just watch. I think you love what you hear."

I don't want to watch it but I'm too curious so I focus on the video in front of me. As it focuses on the person in the video I realize it is Josette and soon the footage starts rolling. "Her father was big on experiments and eventually one was bound to fail. It almost killed his whole unit. He never should've been in charge." I have no idea what she is talking about until I hear words that turn my blood to ice. "Luke saved everyone in the unit and he tried to save Valentine too. Evidently he got a taste of his own medicine. If you ask me he deserved it too." Someone coughs cutting off the next part of what she said. 

Suddenly someone shouts "Do you think Clary will turn out the same way. Maybe she'll go psycho on Jace and he'll learn his lesson about scholarships."

I hear people laugh and I can't tell if Josie is on of them. I can, however, feel the tears gathering in my eyes. Through the laughter, I hear the words that completely destroy me. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." I know I'm crying but I can't bring myself to care as the video cuts off. I hear a sound from behind me and turn to see Jace. One look at his face tells me that he saw the whole video and I can tell Amanda has come to the same conclusion.

She giggles as she gets up saying, "Well I just thought you should both see what one of your Best Friends really thinks of you," before turning and walking to her normal lunch table. Jace and I sit there in silence thinking about Josette. I know he feels betrayed but I can't help but wonder if what she says is true. I think about this until the day is finally over. I realize now that Josette was nowhere to be found today. I want to confront her but there is someone else I have to confront first. As soon as I get back to my room I pull out my phone and stare at the contact before pressing call.

It rings two, three times before someone answers. "Hello?" They ask.

"Luke," I say hearing the frosty tone of my voice. "We need to talk."