The Backstory

(Mentions of rape, abuse)

"You're moving away?!" Patton exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, what?" Logan added adjusting his glasses.

"You're leaving me behind with these guys!" Roman added dramatically.

"It's not like I have a choice, guys. Trust me I don't want to leave. New environment new people, not my forte." Virgil joked slightly as he fought back tears.

"Don't worry too much, kiddo!" Patton reassured " After we all get out of school you'll come up and visit us right? " Patton asked his friend hopefully. Virgil nodded immediately

"Absolutely. No way I could leave Roman as the 3rd wheel to your guy's relationship forever! " Virgil added which caused Logan and Patton to turn bright red and Roman to give him a high five.

"So when are you leaving?" Logan asked trying to change the subject.

"Saturday," Virgil whispered.

"What? That soon?" Patton asked in shock.

"My mom seemed pretty anxious to get out of here."

"I'm really sorry about your parent's divorce Virge," Roman said. Virgil shrugged.

"I've seen it coming for years. Right after my dad became a drunk after my mom caught him cheating."

"How can you just shrug after all of that?" Roman asked. Virgil shrugged again.

"It just doesn't bother me. I guess." Virgil reassured. But in reality, it had bothered him, but he wouldn't let his friends know that. He had accepted the fact that his father was a drunk that would hit and even rape his mother, and he wouldn't let that stop him from being happy. Or trying to be happy at least. Everything seemed hopeless to Virgil, but his friends brought some light to the darkness, even if it was only temporary. He forced himself to remember the good times with his father when things are bad. When they would stay up late on Christmas Eve watching "A White Christmas" for the 800th time because that was the family tradition. The decorating cakes and cookies for a variety of holidays. The family game night every Friday and the frustrations that Monopoly bestowed upon them before waking up Saturday morning to pancakes and bacon from his father with a smile on his face without fail. But all of that stopped 3 years ago.

"Well then, let's all celebrate the time we have together!" Patton cheered before running over to the slide in the middle of the playground. Roman cheered in agreement before chasing after him. Virgil chuckled as Logan shook his head.

"I'm going to miss you guys," Virgil stated. Logan smiled fondly at his friend.

" We're gonna miss you too Virgil. " Virgil nodded as he watched Patton slide down the slide Roman following immediately after him. The two children laughed as they bumped into each other when Patton was unable to get off the slide quick enough.

"Logan! Virgil! Come on!" Roman called. Logan rolled his eyes before jogging over to the two. Virgil smiled and was about to join them but a hand in his shoulder kept him from doing so. He turned around to see Rouge Stevens. His bully.

" Looks like your friends left you alone, Virgil. " Virgil looked at him with a blank state as Rouge put his hands on his hips.

"Was that supposed to offend me in some way?" Virgil shot back Rouge scoffed shoving Virgil slightly.

"You need to learn your place," Rouge growled.

" Just because your parents make more money than mine, doesn't mean you're better than me Rouge. So why don't you fuck off and mind your own business. " Rouge's mouth dropped as he stood there completely offended. No one ever talked to him like that. And he wasn't about to let some poor kid do it. With an angered growl Rouge swiftly connected his fist with Virgil's face. The unexpected force made Virgil lose his balance falling to the ground. Virgil sat on the ground shocked for a moment before getting up. He moved his jaw testing to see if it was broken before wiping the blood off his now busted lip.