boots, jacket, and scarf

MEANWHILE IN NYC
(Christmas Eve, 11:12PM)

Alex sat at his kitchen counter with a glass of vodka beside him. He sat in silence, the only light coming from the floor to ceiling windows in front of him. It was weird for him to feel like this. He just finished texting his drunk (sober) thoughts to Alyx, his last shred of dignity willing him not to completely expose him self. He took another swig from the glass, trying to forget everything. The apartment was quiet, for his parents had been asleep in Alyx's room for hours.
There was a soft knock on the door that lifted Alex from his thoughts. He tiredly stood up from the stool he was sitting on to open the door. Behind the door revealed Amelia bundled in a red puffy jacket and a white scarf covering her neck. Her cheeks were pink from the cold, and the boots on her feet were glazed with white snow. "What are you doing here?" Alex said with a laugh. His thoughts were blurring together, and his first response to everything was to laugh.
Amelia brushed past her friend and went into the kitchen. She poured the rest of the vodka into the sink and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. Alex was now standing with an arm leaning on the counter. "Drink this, and sober up," Amelia demanded. Alex groaned but took the water and walked to couch. Amelia put the cap of the open bottle of vodka back on, and put the liquor where it went in the cabinet. She took off her boots, jacket, and scarf. Amelia watched Alex take slow swings of water, sighing in between sips. She joined him on the couch.

"What the hell happened, Alex?" Amelia watched as Alex sat staring at the coffee table.

"I love her," he said simply.

"I know you love her, but romantically? Alex you two have been best friends for years, why now?"

"I don't know, dude. The feelings started to come when I surprised her in Atlanta. I started to realize that I was slowly losing her." Alex continued to stare at the coffee table as he talked.

"Losing her?"

"Alyx stopped looking to me for things. She started to look across the room to him."

"Lex, this sounds like you just wish you could have her fully again. I hate to say this, but I think you're just jealous of the time she spends with Dacre instead of you."

Alex snapped his head to Amelia immediately.

"That's what I thought, too. Then I generally started to picture us living the rest of our lives together. I never wanted to be this jealous guy. It just happened."

"Do you see how incredibly happy she is with him, though? Do you think she would drop everything for you?" Amelia was trying her hardest to not come off to harsh, but Alex needed to face the truth.

"That's the thing, she's happy with him. Dacre isn't there when I hold her when she cries over being without him. Dacre isn't there when I watch her move around the house slowly, trying to stop thinking about him. He's not here."

"You're right," Amelia said.

"Watching her hurt, kills me. And I know how much she loves him, but I generally think that somewhere deep down she thinks about me the way I think about her."

"You guys tried to be romantic already."

"She always uses that as an excuse, but nothing ever really went wrong with it. We were both each other's first times, and after high school she broke up with me because she was going to New York City. I went with her, and we never talked about us again.

Seeing Alyx with someone new has brought me back to the same seventeen year old kid that I was back when we were together. Amy, I can't lose her. I can't."

Alex stares up at the ceiling, forcing himself to get a grip.

"Hey, you don't have to pretend for me. If you're going to cry, cry."

Alex let go of the rope that was holding his thoughts, and let himself cry.

"I think you just miss her Lex. You need to relax. I think you're scared that Dacre is going to take her away and never give her back. We both know that's not true though. Alex, the way Alyx looks at you is so beyond romantics. She looks at you like you are the solar system. You know I never say anything cheesey, but Alyx loves you more than you will ever know."

"I know that.  I do, but I just miss her. I'm scared I won't have her anymore," Alex says while he wipes his eyes.

"Things change, we aren't teenagers anymore. When Alyx gets back, you need to talk to her. Without any alcohol in your system," Amelia says with a small smirk.

"You're right. Do you think she'll forgive me after this?"

"Of course," Amelia says while getting up from the couch. She puts on her boots, jacket, and scarf. Alex follows her to the door.

"Goodnight Lex, Merry Christmas."

"Thank you Amy, so much," Alex says while watching Amelia walk down the dimly lit hallway in her boots, jacket, and scarf.

NOTE:
WOW. This is one of my favorites. I wanted to give an insight into Alex and his thoughts. I had this idea of Alex talking to Amelia in the shower like an hour ago. Hope you enjoy. ⭐️