Chapter 4

After Jessie and Monica left the bathroom, I ran out. Through the hallways, and out the school doors. The Security guard wasnt there, so it was easier. 

I ran down the sidewalk, and across the street, to the bookstore down the street. Byt the time I got there, I couldn't breathe, between the sobbing, running, and anxiety. I could almost feel everybody's eyes on me, but no one was there. 

I bursted through the doors of the bookstore, the smell of books, and crisp air relaxed me. Not by much, but still a bit. I still felt like hundreds of people were staring at me. But, the only person here was my newfound friend, the manager, Liam.

He was a college student, but we got along well. I met him just yesterday, but we share the same interest in books. I usually came here after school, since it was just down the street, but I met him for the first time yesterday, when I was bored and wanted to get out of the house. I guess this little bookstore is my new sanctuary.

My family moves around a lot, because of my dad's job. I don't know what his job is, but I know it's something to do with business. 

Liam saw me walk in, and smiled. 

" You in here for a new book Sammy?" He asked. I shook my head. Then, Liam looked down at his watch, and noticed the time. 

" Sammy, are you skipping school?" He asked, his eyes showing concern. I shrugged my shoulders.

" Just ran out because something happened." I said, trying not to cry. Everyone probably thought I was some whore, with Jessie spreading rumors and the bet Aiden made. 

I think Liam noticed, because he walked over to the other employee, and whispered something to him, so I couldn't hear. 

" Let's go to the upstairs loft." Liam said cheerfully, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. 

The bookstore had a loft, accessible by a spiral staircase. It was like half the length of an actual floor, and had a wooden railing on the edge, so no one would fall off. It was basically two bookcases and a few bean bags. Liam showed it to me yesterday, saying it was like a little nook, or a space for a hangout. 

He handed me a book, grabbed one for himself, and we both plopped down onto a beanbag

***********************************************************

After about an hour had passed, Liam looked up from his book. 

" Wanna talk about it?" He asked. I marked my page, closed the book, and looked up at him.

" Just some other kids. This guy, who's sorta my boyfriend, apparently he made a bet with the rest of the football team, that he could get me in bed within like a month, and some other girls are spreading rumors that I slept with the football team.." I managed to say before I started crying again. 

"Is that his jacket you're wearing?" He asked. I looked down, and realized that I never took it off. I nodded. Liam sighed.

" Here, let me get that for you." He said as he helped me take it off. 

" After school, we'll go to his house or something, and then I'll help you break up with him." Liam suggested. I nodded.

"Thanks, Liam." I whispered as I hugged him. After that, we stayed like that for a bit, sharing a beanbag, my head on his chest, his arms around me. I guess it was comfortable, because I fell asleep.

*************************************************************************************

When I woke up, Liam was still there. He was asleep, and he was adorable. 

Stop!I shouldn't have feelings like this. I'll only get hurt again.  Maybe I'll just dismiss feelings for people. I need to focus on myself.

I shook him awake, realizing he could get in trouble for this. His groggy eyes opened, the closed again. 

" Five more minutes?" He asked grinning. 

" No, I don't wanna get you fired!" 

" I won't" 

" Yes, you can."

" Can isn't the same thing as will." 

"Can you just get up? I probably need to get home soon." I said as I grabbed Aiden's football hoodie, and pulled my phone out of the pocket.

2:13 PM. We slept for nearly three hours!

Liam stood up and stretched his arms.

" I need to get back to work. If you want, I get off at three, and i can walk you home." Liam suggested, smiling at me. I nodded.

" I'll stay up here, and wait til then." I said, and he  went down the spiral staircase. 

I laid down on the bean bag, closed my eyes, and started thinking. 

Will those guys from the forest come back?

What if they know where I am?

What if they follow me home?

Will they hurt Liam if that's the case?

I don't want to tell him, so when he walks me home, if I see any sign of them, I'll make him leave. I'll say my house is right down the street, and that my parents will be pissed if they see me walk home with a boy.

I laid there for a while, thinking, before I drifted to sleep without meaning to.

******************************************************************************

I woke up in an unfamiliar place.... a car? Yes. I looked to my left. It was Liam. That relieved me. But why was he driving me somewhere?

" Hey, you woke up! Now I can drive you home!" Liam said cheerfully. I gave him a confused look.

" You were peaceful in your sleep, so I carried you out to the car, and decided to drive you home. Then I realized.... I don't know where you live." Liam responded. I nodded as I gave him my address. I could trust him with knowing where I live. 

In the car, it was just a five minute drive, compared to the 20 minute walk.

Once we pulled up by my house, Liam offered to put his number in my phone. I let him. I guess that means we're friends now. I got out of his car, and walked up to my house. It was around 3:30, so my parents might be a bit surprised, seeing as school got out a half hour ago, but I usually go to the bookstore afterwards.So, yes, I was a bit early compared to normal days. 

I walked through the driveway, and noticed one of the cars were gone. That meant my parents were probably out somewhere.I tried opening the door, but it was locked. Thank god for house keys. I looked back before walking through the door. Liam was still there, making sure I got in my house. I waved, he waved back, then drove away. 

Before I closed the door, I saw a glimpse of white in the forest across the street from my house. 

Huh.

 That's strange.