Chapter 10

I stared at my ceiling, pondering whether I should try to sleep or not.

It's the day after Aiden was murdered, a little after noon, when my parent's picked me up from the hospital.

The police called them last night after Aiden's death, and my parents got the first flight they could to get home. Now I was lying in bed, a half- hour after they brought me home from the hospital.

The doctors almost didn't let me leave, but they checked, and apparently my ribs are starting to heal.

"A miracle."

They said. I was lucky. It was a medical "mystery"

Some doctors suggested that perhaps my rib wasn't fractured, just, sore. Again, antoher miracle, since I literally got beat with a crowbar.

Who knows?

Maybe I am lucky. Well, except for the fact that one of my best friends was gone. Well, technically, my boyfriend. But, we were never really that public about. Maybe, we were just..... a bit more than friends? But not enough to be.... ya know... a couple.

I heard a soft knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's me." My mom said as she walked into my room. She didn't bother closing the door, and just by the way she walked, I could tell she was drunk.

"Honey, your father has to leave for his business trip again. Im leaving around 3 o'clock, and I wont be back til tomorrow morning. " She said, her words slurred.

Obviously, my dad didn't know my mother was gonna go out. I don't think he knows that she sleeps around either. Well, that's their problem. not mine.

My mother walked back out, of course without closing my door. I got up, and closed it, and collapsed back onto my bed. Aiden's football jacket was on my nightstand, and I grabbed it, and put it on. I curled up in bed, cradling my phone, staring at the last text he had sent me.

Yesterday 7:49 PM

Aiden-
Hey beautiful, hope you have a great day at school today. Maybe I can drive you home after?

Me-
Sure babe.

Aiden-love ya

Me- love you

"Love ya" I imagined the words coming from his mouth, over and over, playing the words in my mind.

I lay there for a while, just holding his hoodie tighter and tighter around my body, the smell of his cologne on the jacket almost overpowering. Just trying to imprint that scent forever. So I'll never forget him.

So what if he made a bet about getting me into bed with him? I'm sure there were real feelings in our relationship. I know he loved me, and I loved him. It was perfect.

Until he was murdered in front of me.

I dismiss all the negative thoughts, and put on a playlist of some of his favorite songs on my phone, put my headphones in. He always loved to let me hook up my phone to his cars speakers. We had a semi common interest in music, so I didnt mind playing his favorite music.

I listened to the music, let the tears flow. Images of him flashed through my mind. Him playing football, and giving me a long hug after the game, still in his Jersey. That was the night he gave me the jacket.

I did this for about an hour or so, just laying there crying my heart out, thinking of aiden.

After a bit, I couldn't take it anymore. I took out my headphones, and deleted the playlist.

He's gone now. I cant change that. I can only move on. Make my life normal. But I know, I never will. I will never forget Aiden.

And I'll never forget the men who killed him.