Chapter 9

The next morning, I am awoken by the sound of the door swinging open and Vincent walking into the room. Behind him, guards push in a big glass tube. I watch as they hook it up and prepare it and feel my body go numb with fear. I know exactly what that tube is from the pictures from Bucky's file that Steve showed me. 

I fight against the restraints, pulling as hard as I can. I finally break free and jump off the table to run but collapse from the wound in my leg and the exhaustion of so much blood loss and torture from the last few days. I look up when I see a pair of boots in front of me and see Vincent standing in front of me and smiling down at me. He picks me up and sits me back on the table. He places his camera on a table facing the tube and turns it on before stepping in front of it.

"Hello Avengers. This will be the last video you receive. In just a few moments, that tube will be ready to go and your precious Rebekah will be frozen. Now before that happens, I want you to know something. I know you will search for Rebekah but you will never find her. If you try to do anything to harm me in order to harm her, I will put a bullet in her head myself and her blood will be on your hands. Now, before Rebekah goes to sleep, I will allow her to say one last thing to you." He walks away from the camera to me. He grabs my arm and drags me in front of the camera.

"I want you to know this is isn't your faults. I don't blame any of you. I want you to make sure that Mckenzie and Morgan remember me and that you tell them stories of their older sister. I want you to make sure you tell them how much I love them. Tony, thank you for taking care of us when Steve was away. Clint, thank you for the fun times we've had. Thor, thanks for the advice and for being your awesome self. Nat, thanks for always being the person I could go to to talk and for teaching me how to defend myself. I think you'd be pretty proud if you saw what I did to these guys the other day. Bruce, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and being a great friend. And Steve, thank you for everything. For believing in me, for taking care of us and for being a great brother. Please don't blame yourself. There was nothing you could have done." I take a deep breath and wipe away the tears that slipped from my eyes. Behind me, I hear a guard saying that they're ready. 

I steel myself and look at the camera with a hard determination. "I know you will do your best to find me. Give 'em hell and don't hold back. I love you all." I barely got my last word out when I feel hands grip my arms and drag me backwards toward the tube. 

They shove me inside and strap me down before closing it and turning it on. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath as I feel the ice creep up my body and into my veins. The last thing I remember thinking about before I surrender to the darkness is how much my family is going to fight to save me.

3rd person p.o.v.
It's been three days. Three days since Rebekah was captured. Three days since any of the Avengers really got sleep. They've been working nonstop trying to find her. Now, it's almost midnight and they still haven't gotten the nightly video of  the girl's torture. The last thing they saw was their newest member being injecting with all sorts of serums and hearing her blood curdling scream that will haunt all of them for the rest of their lives.

The Avengers are sitting in the living room in silence when the laptop dings, signaling that they've received an email. They watch the video with tears in their eyes as they listen to Rebekah's goodbye and watch in horror as she is frozen. When the video ends, the heroes sit in silence for a moment before Tony throws his computer across the room, shattering it.

"This is all my fault." They hear Steve mumble. They turn and see him staring at his hands with tears rolling down his cheeks.

"It's not your fault Steve. You didn't know this was going to happen." Natasha tries comforting  the man but is unsuccessful. Steve stands up off the couch and walks to the elevator. When the doors close, he hits the butting for his sister's floor and walks into her room, sitting on her bed. He picks up the old black rabbit sitting on her bed.

He sits like that for a while. Just sitting on the edge of the bed, staring at a stuffed rabbit and thinking about the short amount of time he's had with Rebekah. He doesn't even notice the small figure enter the room until the girl has climbed up on the bed and crawled into his lap.

"Hey Stevie." Mckenzie says, looking at him with tired eyes. He blinks back his tears and smiles at the girl.

"Hey there. What you doing out of bed?" He asks the seven year old.

"I heard you come up. Why are you sad?" She asks innocently, catching the soldier off guard.

"I just miss Rebekah." He tells her.

"So do I. When is she coming home?" The girl asks. At that moment, Steve knows what he has to do. He's going to get his sister back no matter what it takes.

"I don't know. Soon." He says. "Now go back to sleep." He tells the little girl. She nods and returns her room. It's only then that he sees the shadows of his teammates outside. He walks out and joins them.

"We'll get her back Steve." Tony tells his friend. Steve nods in agreement.

"I know. We have to. If not for us, then for those little girls in there. I don't care what it takes or how long it takes. We will get her back." He says with determination.