Chapter 20

Six months passed and Bucky and I have gotten closer. The soldier finally started fully trusting me a month ago and we've quickly become the best of friends, almost as close with each other as I am to Steve and Bucky was to Steve. We are now in Russia, staying in an abandoned apartment building on the edge of town, far away from any other houses, all the buildings in the vicinity abandoned. 

It was currently nighttime and I was in the room I had occupied while Bucky was in the one next to it, the two of us managing to find a two bedroom apartment towards the top of the building. I was sitting on the bed I had made on the floor staring at the only picture of Steve, my sisters, and I when I hear a scream coming from the next room. 

I quickly drop the picture and stand up, running into Bucky's room to see him thrashing about on the floor, having a nightmare. I rush to his side and reach out to touch him, stopping myself when I realize that's probably not a good idea. "Bucky." I say, not succeeding in waking the man. "Bucky!" I say a bit louder, with still no success. I roll my eyes slightly before deciding to risk it. I reach out and grasp his shoulder. "Bucky!" I yell. He sits up and wraps his metal hand around my neck. 

He stands up from the floor and slams me against the wall, his grip tightening. My eyes widen and I gasp for breath as I claw at his hand. "Bucky." I rasp out. "Bucky, it's me. It's Rebekah." His eyes slowly lose the crazed look in them, returning to their normal icy blue. His eyes widen when he realizes what he's done and he quickly releases me, backing away quickly as I cough, the air quickly returning to my lungs. 

"I'm sorry." He says. "I'm so sorry." I shake my head and straighten up. 

"It's okay." I tell him. "It was just a nightmare."

"I hurt you." He says, looking at my neck, which no doubt had a hand print on it. I shake my head. 

"I'm fine." I insist. "It'll heal in no time." 

"Bekah. I am so sorry. I didn't mean-"

"I know, Buck." I tell him. "It's okay. It was just a nightmare. I get them too." 

"You do?" He asks. I nod before I suddenly get an idea. 

"Come here." I tell him, sitting on my knees on the floor. He slowly approaches and copies my position. "I want to try something. I don't know if it will work but I want to try it."

"What?" He asks. 

"I have these powers." I tell him slowly. "I'm telekinetic and telepathic. I can speak to people by sending them what I call brain messages. I was even able to show Steve one of my nightmares one time. But I want to see if maybe I can show you a good memory, maybe even find one of your memories that's locked away in your mind. I've never tried it before and it might hurt. I won't do it if you don't want me to." 

"Do it." He says quickly. 

"Are you sure?" I ask, wanting to make sure he's really okay with it before I just dive into his mind. He nods. 

"I trust you." He says. I smile slightly and nod. 

"Close your eyes." I tell him. He does as I say. "If you want me to stop at any point, tell me and I'll stop." He nods and I place my hands on the sides of his head, taking a deep breath and closing my eyes. 

Instead of searching Bucky's mind, I search my own, knowing he probably wasn't totally comfortable with me invading his mind after everything HYDRA did. I latch onto a good memory and concentrate on sending it to Bucky's mind, watching as it plays out in both our heads. 

I wake up to the sound of giggles and high pitch squeals. I open my bedroom door and see Steve holding Mckenzie by her left wrist and ankle. "Again! Again!" She exclaims excitedly.