One of the Guys (Bill)

1st Person POV (BOOK)

Moving to Derry, Maine as a Middle Schooler was not idle for me. I would have much preferred to stay at my real home with all my best friends and streets I know too well. Plus, it doesn't help that I'm the most awkward person alive.

Don't believe I'm that awkward? On the first day of school, I had my hood up on my jacket and my head down low. Tons of kids ran into me and they all gave me disgusting looks. Some of them even said "watch it dude" and of course, I took that as the think I'm a guy. I can't let them know I'm not a guy.

From that day forward, I only wore baggie clothing and talked in a deeper voice. It would be weird if all of the sudden I looked like a girl again. Then all the attention would be in me and I don't want that.

The only good thing about pretending to be a boy is the new friends I have. This kid named Richie noticed me in our math class we have together, then invited me to hang with the other "Losers" who are his friends. We all instantly clicked together, and no one suspected me to be a girl.

Today, all of my friends are standing outside waiting for me. I'm usually the slowest to walk out of school, only because I want to make sure my appearance looks fine. Richie is yelling at Stan and Bill. It sounds like something about the arcade that is in town. I haven't been there yet, but Richie keeps talking about how amazing it is.

"Tell them, Y/Fake/N, we should go to the arcade today, right?" Richie wraps an arm over my shoulder and pats my shoulder.

"I don't care, whatever you guys want to do, I'm up for," I tell Richie and the three other boys. Eddie and Stan role their eyes, obviously annoyed that we can't come to the agreement over where to go.

"Wah-wah-what about our treehouse?" Billy suggest, looking down at the ground with his cheeks a little flushed. "We-we haven't buh-been there in a why-while."

Stan crosses his arms over his chest, "I don't have any money to play at the arcade anyways, so I think we should go to the treehouse as well."

Richie unwraps his arm from my neck, strutting up to Stan with his glasses sliding down his nose. "Do I look like my parents give me shit? I take the coins right out of their pockets when they aren't looking!"

I can tell Stan and Bill are irritated with Richie. Eddie could honestly care less. This time, I put my hand on Richie, "dude, we can go to the arcade another time. Let's do the treehouse today, besides, I want to see it. You guys have never mentioned a treehouse before."

"That is because we don't go down there often anymore." Eddie does a little body shutter after saying the last word in his sentence.

Bill lifts his head up and smiles at all of us. His cheeks are still a little red, but I think it is from the warm sun outside. Richie is a little flushed too.

We all begin to walk towards the treehouse. It would have been faster bike there, but everyone left their bikes at home, including me. The walk isn't too long, though. I stayed quiet most of the time. It hurts my voice when I talk low for too long, and I would talk in my normal voice if I had the choice. I don't anymore. I'm too awkward to confess anything.

"Suh-so, Y/Fake/Name," Bill stutters quietly, walking at the slower pace to walk with me. Stan, Eddie, and Richie are all bickering in front of us, not even bothering that me and Bill and traveling behind them a couple of feet. "Richie toll-told me that yuh-you like drawing?"

That is random. Plus, I have only showed my art book to Richie once. He could have seen me doodle on the desk a couple of times, but other than that, there isn't much other drawing. Bill could be trying to get my attention to get closer to me. Trust me, I want to get closer to him (he has a cute face), but as far as I know, I can't tell him that, because he thinks I'm a guy and I don't think he is into guys.

"I draw sometimes, mostly in my math notebook. Nothing too special, I guess." I stuff my hands into my pockets and keep my eyes down at the ground. "What about you?"

When I glance up at him, Bill looks really taken back at my question. I can't tell if he didn't expect me to ask him something or if he is surprised I asked him something. "Oh-oh, I like to-to-to write."

"What kind of writing?"

Bill's face turns a shade darker. A sly smile also spreads across his face and I can officially say, his smile makes me want to smile. Bill Denbrough is so stupidly cute.

For the next couple minutes of our walk, Bill tells me about the stories he writes and journal he is writing in everyday. He didn't tell me about anything in his journal, but he did tell me about some of the stories he came up with. One day, he wants them to be top selling books. I have no doubt that he can achieve those dreams.

"Y/Fake/Name, watch out!"

I briefly hear Richie yell out for me to watch out, but didn't say what to watch out for. Next thing I know, I slam my entire face into the trunk of a tree. My body falls back into the dirt ground and I can feel the wind get knocked out of me. That isn't the worst part, my baseball cap on my head falls off my head. My cap was hiding my hair. Goddammit.

When I open my eyes again, I see all four boys staring down at me with wide eyes. "Hi?" I say in my normal voice this time. Eddie shrieks a bit, I knew he would if he found out like this. Richie is trailing my body with his eyes. I can tell. It is not like he can't see much, my body is covered with jeans and a sweatshirt. Stan and Bill haven't made a movement yet.

"Why didn't you fucking tell us you are a girl!" Richie finally says with excitement.

"Because nobody asked?" I say back. It sounds more like a question, though. I don't actually know why I didn't tell them.

"This changes everything," Stan crosses his arms over his chest and smirks at me. I only weakly smile back at him.

None of the boys bother to help me get up off the ground, so I attempt to lift myself up. It doesn't work out as planned. I stand for a second, then fall right on top of Bill from my unstableness. He catches me, thankfully.

"You have a really cute face, by the way," I say a little too causally to Bill. He blushes again, then nods his head and smiles at me. I hope that is a good sign.

"Of course, Big Bill gets all the girls and you know what I get? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! This is bullshit." Richie grumbles at me with his own arms crossed over his chest.

My head finally stops spinning and I can stand up by myself this time. "Sorry about not telling you guys about my secret. I'm usually so awkward around people, that is actually the whole reason why I go by a boy, because of an awkward encounter at school." They all stare back at me. "Oh, that is right, my real name is Y/N."

"I-I-I like your fah-face too, Y/N."