The Holidays (Stan)

1st Person POV (BOOK)

The holiday season is not easy for the losers club. Most of us celebrate Christmas, then there's Stan, my boyfriend,who is Jewish. Everyone except for Richie feels bad when we talk about our Christmas traditions with presents, cookies, and crazy decorations. I have even gone so far to not wear my Christmas sweaters around him or to school.

Ben hops out of his desk as soon as the last bell rings for the day. He's wearing a very ugly Christmas sweater and the kid is very high on chocolate at the moment.

"It is officially Christmas Break and I'm so fucking excited!" Ben shoves all of his notebooks into his backpack in one swift movement, scaring Bill out of his seat. Poor Bill fell asleep on his desk. He's been so excited for Christmas, he hasn't been sleeping at night.

"It's called Winter Break, Ben, not everyone celebrates Christmas like we do." I say back in a snarky tone. Both Richie and Stan rolls their eyes at me. "Come on, Stanley, you have to back me up. You not only celebrate Hanukkah, but your my boyfriend, which means you have to agree with me."

"That doesn't mean you have to bring up the fact I'm Jewish every day," Stan swiftly moves his hand to grab my own to squeeze it softly. "I don't mind it when everyone talks about Christmas around me."

I sigh, "I don't like the fact that we keep rubbing it in your face that we get Santa and presents while you get candles and dreidels." Stan pulls me into a small hug and rubs the top of my back.

"Oh god, they are acting like a couple again," Richie fakes gags in the corner of the classroom, which instantly makes the rest of the group laugh. After that, everyone slowly behind to file out of the classroom to find their parent's cars to go home. Luckily, I arranged with my parents and Stan's parents to take him home with us today since his parents are working. We hold hands the entire way out of the school, then let go so my mom wouldn't see it. She may not know about our relationship and she is not going to find out now.

The entire car ride to my house, Stan and I talk about our last couple of tests we took today. We both think the spelling test was so easy. Like, almost too easy. Spelling kaleidoscope was so easy.

I didn't want to admit out loud that I probably bombed my math test. My mom would be furious if she found out right now.

Stan and I didn't stay for long in the kitchen when we got back to my house. We both grabbed a quick snack and snuck up into my room to "play board games". I still can't believe my mom bought that.

"Does this mean we can cuddle and watch the crappy cartoons?" Stan asks with a big smile on his face. My house and Richie's house are the only places Stan gets to watch the crappy cartoons. He gets excited easily.

The only reason I have a television in my room is that my Dad bought one for his birthday to put in the living room, which meant I got the old television as an early Christmas gift. It is honestly Stan's new favorite thing.

"Yes, but I need you to wait right here in my room. I have to grab something from downstairs!" I sprint out of the room, already knowing Stan would start asking me questions like a noisy boy he is.

Underneath all of the winter coats and boots in the garage, I have a painting I made a while back I made him. For the past couple of months, I've been too nervous to give it to him, so why not, during the season of giving, give him the painting. The painting is of two birds, a pink and yellow one, cuddling close with each other on a branch against a blue background. I know Stan really likes his birds, but two birds that look oddly similar to the two of us has to steal his heart. I hope at least.

I hold the canvas behind my back as I shove my bedroom door open. "Stan, I'm going to need you to— is that my sweater?"

Stan is so startled by my appearance, his body jumped two feet in the air and he falls onto the floor. Would you look at that, he is wearing my sweater, my Christmas sweater! Damn, he looks good too.

"Well," Stan scrambles up from the floor, cheeks very flustered, "I saw it under your bed and realized that I love you in the sweater, which I haven't seen you wear all winter, so I wanted to wear it." Stan brings his hands closer to his chest, trying to become as small as he can. It is honestly so adorable.

"I could be mad at you, but I'm not." I lightly laugh, "I was going to say, before you startled me, that I made you a present. It is not much, but I wanted to get you something since you don't celebrate Christmas."

Before Stan could say anything else, I bring the painting out from behind my back and show him the picture of the birds. I hear a very auditable gasp come from Stan. He jumps a little with excitement, then rushes over to me to hold the canvas in his hands.

"Look at us! You made us into small birds and I fucking love birds!" Stan traces his thumb over the bird's body, admiring every little bit of the picture. "I wish I could have gotten you something."

"Stanley, no, we are not going to play the game of 'I wish I got you something, but you are all that I need' crap. This was a little something I've had made for months and I finally decided to give it to you." I pull Stan into a hug, then lightly kiss his cheek. He face flushes again, just as much as when I caught him wearing my sweater. "Merry Christmas, Stanley."

"Happy Hanukkah, Y/N."