Lights

Tonight was a bit different. My neighbors were very quiet aside from the sound of moans and some lewd curses. But definitely, no glass shattering and no sobbing. Well, maybe they already kiss and make up. I wonder how long it will last. But I like that lewd noises better than the sound of a person crying in pain. And I am thankful that I can sleep soundly tonight.

The next day, I woke up early to prepare something for my neighbor. I planned to cook breakfast for him. I want to be friends with him. I know he needed someone to talk to as my heart aches for him. His state keeps on flashing back in my head. He looked so miserable.

I also wonder if the sunlight ever touches his skin. Last night when he opened the door, their apartment was very dark and heavily curtained. Why is he being kept inside?

I placed two sets of lunch boxes inside a bag. My plan was to eat breakfast with him. I waited at the hallway with my backpack and a book in my hand as props. I'm waiting for the blond guy to come out of the apartment so I can knock and give the food to my badly bruised neighbor.

At exactly 7 in the morning, the door swung open and the blonde guy walked out. I was surprised, there was a man that came out after him. I am certain that he's not the same guy I met last night. This one is clean and have no bruises. The blonde guy put his arms around that other guy's shoulder and they walked away.

I can't think properly of the scene I just saw. If the guy with bruises was that blonde guy's partner. Then who was that other guy who just went out? I am sure that I heard someone making out from their room last night. Does that mean that the blonde guy had sex with that other guy and the guy with bruises just sat there to watch? That's cruel.

I pulled myself up and knocked on the door of my neighbor's apartment. I hope that we can be friends through this. After some thirty seconds of knocking, he opened the door. I gave him a smile but as soon as he realized that it's just me, he pushed the door to close. But I pushed it back with my arm so the door remained open.

"What do you want?" He asked. I can't take my eyes off his face. He's lower lip still swelling from the cut.

"I just want to give you these. I cooked breakfast for you." I smiled showing him the bag.

"I'm not hungry." He said as he pushed the door again but again, I blocked it with my arm.

"Don't close the door. If you don't want me in, at least just get the food. I know you're hungry." But he shuts the door again and I failed to block it.

Being the persistent guy that I am, I knocked again. "Neighbor? Please open the door. I already saw your partner went out of the building."

"Go away!" I heard him yelled from the other side.

"Just accept the food if you don't want me in." I yelled back.

"I said I'm not hungry."

" I can be your friend." I offered. I know he badly needed one.

"Go away! "

"I'm a friend." I insisted.

"You don't know Namjoon." He yelled again. So Namjoon was the name of that blonde.

I knocked again. I know I am being an asshole now. But to my surprise, he opened the door. Persistence really is the key to success. I smiled, this time, bigger. He just stared at me.

"Uhmmm... you will not invite me in?"  I said. Hoping for a yes.

He did not say anything, but instead, he opened the door wider. Signaling that it's okay to come in. And so I went inside.

As he shut the door closed, I tried to adjust my eyes in the dark. I wonder how he managed to walk in a dark room. As soon as he opened the curtains, lights went in. And I was shocked by the sight in front of me. Their apartment was a disaster. Cans of beers, empty bags of chips, shoes and clothes splattered on the floor.

I wonder what's happening inside this room every night.