Knock

It was midnight when I heard another noise on the other side of the room

It was midnight when I heard another noise on the other side of the room. My neighbors are it again. I sat down on my bed feeling guilty by the sound of my neighbor crying in agony. I know I should do something about this. I cannot just sit here knowing someone from the other door was being beaten up and I'm just here listening until they were silent. I've been doing that for over a month now and it has to end now.

I cannot take the abusive behavior of Namjoon. It's okay if I don't have an idea of what's happening but looking at my neighbor's feeble looking body earlier, I know that he was being beaten and abused by his partner.

I grabbed my phone and start dialling 911. I know in my heart that I'm doing something right. I went to the living room and wait for the police and the ambulance to come over. Namjoon should be jailed and my neighbor should be taken to the hospital to get checked. Nobody deserves to be abused that way.

My thoughts were disturbed by someone frantically knocking at my door. Could it be the police? That fast? I went up to open the door and I am shocked to see my neighbor with bleeding eyebrow and lips running into my arms. He hugged me so tight and started sobbing on my chest.

He was saying something inaudible. I locked the door in fear that Namjoon might follow him. "What happened?" I asked. I know he wants to say something but he was crying so hard. "You're safe here." I hugged him back.

"Now tell me what happened?" I asked trying to look on his eyes. He stared at me. His eyes bears fear. Tears kept on falling from his eyes to his cheeks and between sobs he spoke at last. "I... i... k-k-kil-led h-himm..." Then he cried again burying his face on my neck. I can feel his tears dripping down on my shoulder. I can't comprehend what just happened. I don't know if I heard it correctly. Did he really killed Namjoon?

Then suddenly, I felt his hand grasped on my arm. "P-please.. h-help me.. " He grabbed his stomach and started wincing in pain. "Why? What's hurting you?" I hold him up and guide him to the couch but he's body was bent over. He started to scream, "My baby! P-please h-help m-my ba-by!!" And there, I saw blood gushing down on his legs. My eyes widened in shock and fear.

"You're pregnant?! Wait.. just wait right here. Don't move too much. The ambulance is coming." I sprint out of the door and I was right, there were officers in front of my neighbor's door. "Sir please help us. He's with me. The one who lives there. I think he's having a miscarriage."

Some of the officers went with me and we saw my neighbor writhing in pain on the floor. Screaming to help the baby. He kept on screaming 'my baby.' One of the officers called on to his radio and ask for medic.

Inside the ambulance, he never let go of my hand. He just kept on weeping and muttering the words 'my baby'. I didn't know that he's pregnant. The twinge in my heart worsened. If I reported it before, this could have been prevented. Maybe it didn't come to this.

"Are you the husband?" I heard a voice from someone who just went inside the waiting room.

"No. I'm his friend." I answered. This must be the doctor.

"Where are Seokjin's family?" So Seokjin is his name.

"I'm not yet sure. I just reported to the police that he was being abused. I didn't know that he's pregnant." I said hoping that Seokjin and his baby were both okay.

"Oh! Anyway, I'm really sorry but Seokjin lost his baby. I guess he was hit badly on his stomach as his body are full of bruises and scratches. We will do more tests, xrays and scans to make sure that there are no internal bleeding and injuries. He's already inside his room. By the way I'm Dr. Song. I'll be his attending physician. I'll see him again later."

I took a deep breath and dropped myself on the chair. I wonder how I got myself involved in this kind of mess. Now I wonder, where are Seokjin's family? They need to know what happened to their son. They need to know what Seokjin went through in the hands of Namjoon. And now I wonder, is Namjoon really dead?