Envelope

Just got out of the car from work

Just got out of the car from work. I immediately went to Seokjin's apartment and I saw someone who was about to knock on his door.

"Hi, what can I do for you?" I asked.

"I have a document for Mr. Kim Seokjin." He answered showing me a brown envelope.

"Can I receive that? I live there with him." I said. Of course I lied, I still live in my apartment next to him.

The courier smiled and handed me the envelope. I signed a piece of paper and wrote my name. "Kim Taehyung? You're both Kims. Are you his husband?"

I just smiled. I looked at the envelope. The very first I noticed was the address. It's from an Agency based in France. I suddenly felt nervous. Could this be the contract that he's waiting for? My hand shook by the thought.

I stayed outside his door for a while. I'm scared to know what's inside this envelope. Just last week, he was so happy that he finally got his working Visa. He immediately packed his things since the only one left was the contract and the plane ticket. I know he's been waiting for the contract to arrive. How can I accept the news if in case this the document he's been waiting for?

I knocked on his door with a big lump in my throat. I am so scared, nervous, anxious, every negative feelings that I can think of.

He opened the door and when he saw that it's me, he immediately gave me his sweetest smile and a peck on the lips. "Come in, dinner is ready." He pulled me in.

I hesitate to come in but I followed. He was so bubbly tonight. He prepared the dining table right away. "How's work? You looked tired! Anyway, I'll give you a massage before you go home."

I handed to him the envelope. He was surprised and stared on it first. But he took it from my hand and started to open it. I saw how tears started to form in his eyes. I saw how his hands trembled while he scanned the documents inside. Then he looked at me. I don't know why I am scared for him to look at me. We stared at each other. I know he wanted to say something.

"Tae..." he called. I just stared at him. My words were trapped inside my throat. I waited for him to talk. By the looks of it, he was so hesitant to tell me something as I saw how he struggled to formulate words.

"Tae.. I'm leaving.." He said, tears falling from his eyes. "On Saturday."

Saturday? It's Wednesday now. Why so fast? His words seemed to smashed to me so painfully. I gripped my hand on the handle of my office bag. I bowed my head and closed my eyes. Trying to absorb what he just said. I'm trying to gather all the words that I want to say but all I can think of was him leaving. Not soon, but very soon. And as much as I wanted to stop myself, I just can't. I cried. Hard. So hard that I can feel it difficult to normally breathe.

I felt him touched me. He wrapped his arms on my waist and bury his face on my shoulder. He was crying too. This was the day that I am dreading to come. The day when he will finally tell me that he is finally leaving.

"Tae.. I'm really sorry. I'm so sorry I have to leave you. I'm sorry." He said in between his sobs. I can't say anything. I just want to cry until I get tired.

The food left untouched on top of the dining table. We've been sitting side by side at the couch for hours now. Nobody wanted to talk. No words. Just the feeling that we were beside each other. Finally, he held my hand.

"Tae.. I know it's hard. It's hard for me too. But this is it. I don't know how to ease the pain you're feeling right now. I know I just can't. I really thought that once I received the ticket, that would be the happiest day of my life. But it hurts so badly now because I learned how to love you. I love you so much Tae. I do. I'm so sorry if this has to end like this. I'm really sorry. I hope you can forgive me."

I finally got the courage to talk, "Jin, can I stay here with you until Saturday? Until before you leave?"

He smiled and nodded. "You can."