Chapter 9

The bed dips behind me as I feel Daniel pull me closer to him. Lips being pressed firmly against the back of my head almost draw me out of my slumber. I sigh at the sensation, but frown when I feel him release me.

"Go back to sleep." He whispers softly against my ear. "It's early." Mumbling something in agreement, I roll onto my back and close my eyes.

However, the sound of the shower rushing powerfully causes my eyes to flutter open, pulling me into consciousness. Hmmm... Daniel... in the shower sounds like a perfect way to start the day. I bite my lip while I flip the covers off my already overheated body.

Quietly, I enter the bathroom. But as I close the door and turn to face the glass shower, I cannot help but notice his posture. Daniel stands beneath the forceful flow of the water, his head bowed so that the surge cascades across the back of his skull. His hands are both placed on the grey slate tiles before him, shoulders slumped. Even through the steam I can see by the way the muscles in his back heave up and down that he's either crying or struggling to remain in control.

The heat that I was feeling deep within my stomach cools immediately, like a bucket of water thrown across a campfire.

"Daniel, are you OK?" I ask cautiously as I open the glass door. For a second he doesn't respond or even look at me. I strip off Daniel's white T-shirt that I have now claimed as my own to wear to bed, and step into the shower, closing the door behind me. Wrapping my arms around his waist, I hold him from behind. I rest my head against his back and choose not to say anything else, hopefully the fact that I'm here is enough. The water flows all around me, and the temperature is almost too hot to bare.

"I'm fine, baby." He finally says shakily. "Just having a moment." Daniel turns to face me and pulls me into a cuddle. His strong arms wrap around me and hold me tightly.

I lean back to look up at him and see his eyes are a little puffy. Placing my hand against his cheek, his leans into my touch. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing, I promise." He tries to raise a smile, but it doesn't reach his eyes.

Reaching for the shampoo bottle, I fill my hands and then begin to massage it into Daniel's scalp. He sighs audibly before closing his eyes, enjoying the sensation.

"We promised no more secrets." I speak evenly as I direct him under the flow of the raging water to wash the shampoo from his hair. I then repeat the process with my hair to give him time to think without feeling pressured.

My gaze falls to the angry scar on his chest that looks much deeper with the hot water reddening the area further. Without another thought, I lean across to kiss it gently.

"I said I'm fine. I just needed a minute on my own." Daniel's tone is unusually clipped which takes me by surprise.

"Please don't shut me out... I'm here for you." I say firmly, placing the palm of my hand on his chest.

"We've got a busy day ahead of us." He completely ignores my words. "We need to entertain your parents, then the appointment with my doctor, then the meeting with Chris... followed by dinner with my Mom and Curtis. I'm already exhausted just thinking about today, so can you just back off a bit?" Daniel doesn't look at me as he washes off the shower gel from his lean body. The smell of peppercorn and oranges fills my senses with familiarity.

He then swiftly opens the shower door, leaving me standing with my mouth ajar under the flow of water. Stepping forward, I reach for the door to follow him out and continue to question on him about why the hell he is shutting me out after all of our promises, but something inside stops me. My heart breaks a little as I watch him wrap a towel around his waist and leave the bathroom without looking back.