Chapter 45

The stark white hospital lights ensure I'm wide awake, not that I feel like sleeping. Somehow, Daniel has finally managed to fall asleep next to me on the hospital bed, curled up on his side in the smallest of spaces to ensure I have all the room I need. His hand rests protectively on my thigh as though even in his sleep he needs to make sure I'm still next to him. The birds chirp loudly outside the slightly open window while Daniel's snores compete with them for dominance.

I've been wired up to the fetal monitor for the last two hours, keeping a close eye on our babies. I continue to lie still, gratefully listening to the rhythm of their heartbeats as I feel them fight for space inside me.

A stray tear slips from the corner of my eye, leaving a trail across my cheek, echoes of the fear I felt when I thought I could be going into labour too early. I know I won't be able to sleep now as it won't be long until the nurse returns to take the next round of observations. So instead I replay the last few hours like a movie in my head from Daniel's pleading voice, the blue and red flashes of the ambulance's lights, the noise of its sirens, to the relief of hearing my babies healthy heartbeats.

The door opens to my room, and I watch as Dr. Isaac quietly enters while reading some notes, which I presume must be mine. "How are you feeling now, Lizzie?" He asks from the side of the bed before he looks at the readings being printed from the machine next to me.

"Better, thank you." I respond honestly.

"That was a close call, Lizzie. You do understand that don't you? When I received the call at home informing me what had happened along with your blood pressure and pulse readings, I prepared myself to be delivering your babies before I should be." Dr. Isaac speaks sternly towards me.

"I know!" I concede. "I don't know what happened... I stood up and then everything went black."

"You need to slow down... avoid stress as much as possible." Dr. Isaac looks pointedly at me. "Our aim is thirty six weeks, but if you continue to put yourself under so much stress with work... then these babies could come at any time."

It's not work that's the problem, I almost correct him, but stop myself just in time. "I will try, I promise."

Dr. Isaac smiles warmly. "The babies look perfectly happy now. So, I'm comfortable for you to go home after another hour or so of monitoring... but you need to rest... doctor's orders." He nods towards a still sleeping Daniel. "Let that husband of yours look after you."

I return his smile. "I will. Thank you, Dr. Isaac."

"I want to see you weekly from now on, keep an eye on that blood pressure."

"Not a problem." I respond immediately.

"I'll leave you to get some rest, the nurse will be in to see you in a little while. Then we can get you home."

"Thanks, we really appreciate you coming in."

"That's what I'm here for. I will see you soon." Dr. Isaac leaves as silently as he entered the room.

I sink into the pillow, comforted by the noise of the monitors and Daniel's snores. A feeling of perfect calm washes over me knowing I'm safe and my babies are staying put a little longer. Taking some deep breaths, I feel tiredness begin to overwhelm me.

With a heavy heart, and after hours of overthinking, I decide that now is not the time for me to help Willow. Selfishly, I have to put my needs first and protect my family.

Maybe I can talk to her once the babies are here?  She may not even agree to speak with me. She might not even know I exist.

As my mind begins to roam free, the images Detective Phillips showed me of Willow lying on her hospital bed catapult yet again into my mind's eye. The bruises and cuts on her delicate face reminding me of the numerous beatings I endured... like a fool, time and time again.