Chapter 21

Finally we have finished packing our suitcases to return to what the weather forecast says will be a very rainy London. "You need to learn to pack lighter." Daniel grumbles as he struggles to haul the second suitcase off the bed. I bob my tongue at him in response, making him smile. The wheels bounce off the tiled floor with a thump before Daniel glides it away with a smug grin that the loud noise had proved his point.

Once he has returned to the bedroom, he takes my chin between his thumb and forefinger. Softly he guides my chin up, so I look up at him.

"You look beautiful today." He smiles warmly before placing a soft kiss on the tip of my nose.

"You're a liar, Daniel... but I'll take it." I smile up at him wholeheartedly. I know he's lying as he's spent the last two hours holding my hair back when I have been sick. Packing is usually such an easy task, but not when a wave of nausea causes you to drop everything and sprint to the toilet every five minutes.

He chuckles in understanding. "You always look beautiful to me!"

"Very smooth, Mr Weston." Resting my head on his chest as he wraps his arms around me, I feel the comforting vibration of his laughter.

"I do try... now, can we please be alone this evening? I know there's this drinks reception in a couple of hours for you to say bye to the team, but then... just me and you... yeah?" Daniel's voice trembles slightly and I'm unsure why.

"Sounds perfect... why, what's up?" I ask tentatively while looking up at him.

"Nothing, I swear. Just thought it'd be nice to have the final evening on our own considering Harrison has planned something on every other evening." He doesn't even try to hide the bitterness in his tone.

"Promise... just me and you." I reach up on my tiptoes to kiss his lips gently. He groans into my mouth as the kiss deepens. Soon we are a tangle of lips and limbs intertwined, unable to ever have enough of each other.

*****

"Everyone please raise your glasses to our wonderful Lizzie." Harrison announces to the room.

I blush as I was hoping to make a quiet exit after saying my temporary goodbyes to the team. Everyone around me turns in my direction as Harrison gestures for me to join him on the platform. Reluctantly, I stand next to him with my half full glass of champagne that Daniel discreetly tipped into his glass so I never appeared to have an empty glass. Harrison places his arm around my shoulder and squeezes as everyone holds their glasses up.

My eyes find Daniel who beams proudly up at me. I watch briefly as his gaze falls on Harrison for a second and his jaw tightens slightly. But when he realises I'm still looking at him his features immediately soften. Daniel holds his glass up. "To you, beautiful." He mouthes silently.

"Lizzie, you are now part of the Banner Hotels family. You have single handedly developed the most beautiful and captivating marketing campaign that is going to change the way the world view our hotels. Thank you for all your hard work and we look forward to progressing to the next stage of the process. To Lizzie!" He raises his glass as he kisses my cheek.

"Thank you, everyone! I'm very excited to be part of the team, and the idea will only be able to come to fruition with all of your hard work... this is definitely a group effort! I will see you all soon, thank you again." I raise my glass before taking a tiny sip of the bubbly champagne. The room erupts into applause.

Harrison engulfs me in a tight hug before I step down, eager to return to Daniel's side. I know I'm beetroot red when our eyes meet. He cups my burning cheeks in his large hands before lowering his head to press his lips to mine. "You're amazing." He says like he has many times before. "I love you." He then rests his forehead against mine.