Chapter 53

"What are you doing here?" My tone is more accusatory than I intended, but I haven't got the will power or the desire to even attempt to correct myself. I'm sure my animatedly annoyed facial expression will give away exactly how I'm feeling in any event.

He holds up the present to make it obvious why he's here. "I just came to drop this off for Caroline. I'm living back in London now. I had no idea you would be here." He speaks quickly as though he is embarrassed to see me before he turns to the attractive woman at his side. "This is Una."

She smiles awkwardly. "Hi Lizzie."

"Hello." I answer abruptly, immediately returning my pointed stare to Charlie. "I'm not sure Caroline will want to see you after the way you behaved."

He nods swiftly, biting his lip. "You're probably right... but I just wanted to bring something for her baby."

"And so you have!" I exclaim bitterly, gesturing towards the gift bag. I can feel the anger bubbling inside of me at all the problems Charlie has caused over the last few years, and how low he had the power to make Daniel feel when I was in hospital. But I bite my tongue because I do not want my blood pressure to rise anymore than it already has because of him.

"You look great. How long do you have left?" He says quietly, but I cant't even bring myself to react to his words.

"Why don't you and Charlie go somewhere you can talk things through? I think it's what you both need." Una asks brightly in a Northern Irish accent. "I can drop this gift off at Caroline's door and then wait in the car? I can meet her and Jeremy another time."

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" My hormones take over for a second as I scowl towards the stranger who clearly knows more about me than I do about her.

"Una is my girlfriend." Charlie says simply while I roll my eyes. "She knows everything... everything I did to you-"

"Oh right!" I practically snort while studying her more closely. She is pretty, but not in the usual false and brash way that I have witnessed Charlie date before. She has a kind face, with rounded features. Una is dressed in fitted jeans with a high neck black jumper. A thick cardigan covers her slight frame in the cold sunlight. In different circumstances we could probably become friends, but not now.

"I've been with Charlie for around six months now, we met at group therapy." She answers honestly. "We both had a lot of issues, but we found inner peace in talking through our mistakes to each other. We helped each other and then fell deeply in love." She softly nudges his shoulder.

"Oh right." I repeat unsure what else to say, wondering in frustration whether she is going to drop and meditate right before my eyes.

"Would you be willing to sit with me for five minutes and have a coffee... give me chance to try and explain... and to say sorry?" His eyes sweep the floor as though he doesn't feel that he can make eye contact with me.

When he finally looks up at me, I subtly shake my head. "No-"

"Please. I need to do this..." Charlie squeezes Una's hand as the desperation oozes from his mouth.

"Oh, do you?" I ask sarcastically. "Look, Charlie. I don't need you to do this right now!" Each word is exaggerated.

Una moves to stand between us, subtly pulsing her arms. She looks like some sort of awkward penguin, and I have to fight to keep the smirk from my face. "I think you're being unreasonable, Lizzie. Charlie is getting help for his behaviour... he's much better now." She speaks slowly as though she think I'm struggling to understand Charlie's intentions. "I think you should give him the time to talk, get it off his chest. He can then put it and you behind him."

I glare at her before a surprised laugh expels from my body making my babies wriggle inside me. "Look, I'm too swollen, aching and impatient to listen to this right now." I rest my hands on the base of my spine to support my back. Turning my attention from Una back to Charlie. "I am so glad you're getting help. I really hope it works for you. But, we cannot be friends right now. I hope you understand why. Maybe one day I'll be ready to listen to you, and try to understand why you felt the need to treat me how you did, despite me giving you chance after chance. But, today is not that day... I am not ready." I point to my chest, and speak just as slowly as Una did.

"Please, I think we could both move on if we talked it through. We could even be friends again... like old times." He finally meets my eyes, and I don't recognise my old friend at all.

"Move on with what? Charlie, I'm not sure if you have some deluded idea of the power you had over Daniel and I. The truth is there was nothing for me to move on from. You made sure there could never be any sort of friendship between us when you attacked Daniel in the waiting room while I was in a coma. Then tried to publicly humiliate us..." my voice is rising with the surge of anger at his words, so I breathe slowly in and out for a few seconds to regain my composure. My eyes flit to Una who looks clearly shocked at my words. Charlie hasn't been completely honest then, I think to myself but don't have the energy to say it out loud. "I'm about to have twins, Charlie. Now is not the time or the place for you to decide that you're suddenly ready to pour your heart out."

"I understand, Lizzie. I'm just sorry!" Charlie says in defeat. "Can you give this to Caroline for me? I think it's best I don't see her." He holds out the gift which I take from him.

"I wish good things for you, Charlie. I really do. I just can't be in your life." I step around him. "Take care."

"Bye, Lizzie." Charlie says from behind me, but I don't turn back as I approach Caroline's house. "Come on, Una. We should go."

"He really is sorry." Una says from a greater distance, so I presume they're walking away.

Controlling my breathing, I refuse to allow his actions any further control over how I feel. Once a calmness has fallen over me, I ring Caroline's doorbell and put Charlie behind me.

Soon I am cuddled up to a sleeping Lily, and I'm able to serenely inform Caroline and Jeremy about my encounter with Charlie without any emotion.

"Mother fucker!" Jeremy exhales in surprise. "That dick never fails to surprise me! I kind of wish he had of knocked our door... I'd have taken great pleasure in telling him to piss off!"

"Well I'm glad he didn't!" Caroline chuckles. "The way my hormones are, I would have probably ripped his head off!"

"Well, he's gone now. Hopefully this time for good." I comment while I embrace Lily tightly.

- hey guys

What did you think of this chapter? I hope you feel like Lizzie has some closure over the whole Charlie situation now?

Please let me know what you think.

We're beginning to approach the end of not only this story, but the trilogy which is making me quite emotional!!!

Thank you so much for your continued support... the drama isn't over just yet! Love T x -