Chapter 27

The closer the sat nav informs us we are to the house, the narrower the roads become. We meander in Daniel's Jaguar through the tight country lines with only fields for company. The sun beams down encasing the view in various shades of vivid green. I lean back into the seat while I hold Daniel's hand feeling anxious about what the house will be like. Have I built it up too much in my head?

As we edge closer, we drive passed numerous equine centres and stables. I grin watching jockeys riding beautiful horses in the glorious sunshine. Stealing a glance at Daniel, although his eyes are hidden behind his sunglasses, he wears a content smile across his face.

"OK, we should be coming up to it soon. Eve said it's pretty well hidden, but we just need to look out for a sign for Hawksford Grange." Daniel says while he begins to slow the car to ensure we don't miss the turning.

The narrow lane is surrounded by mature trees which hide whatever stands behind them making the experience more magical. A small ancient boundary wall lines the lane making me feel as though I should be in a carriage being pulled by horses, and not in a sports car.

"There," I squeak excitedly when a small sign comes into view next to a large gap in the wall and tree-line.

Daniel indicates as he begins to turn off the lane. The wall curves and rises steadily until it reaches large iron gates. They are currently splayed open, inviting us in.

With the only sound being the crunch of gravel beneath the car's tyres, Daniel slowly drives up the sweeping driveway. My heart pounds in my chest waiting for the house to come into view.

"Would you look at that?" Daniel chuckles disbelievingly, pointing ahead as we follow the never ending driveway.

The house then comes into sight and I feel as though my eyes could pop out of my head, they grow so large. "Oh... wow," is all I'm able to articulate. The same house I saw on Eve's computer somehow looks even more stunning in the flesh.

"Isn't she beautiful." Daniel comments more to himself than to me. He parks the car right outside the front doors, even though the area between the house and the manicured front lawn is big enough to park at least fifteen cars. "Eve's already here." He says brightly when he jumps out of the car, jogging round so he can open the door for me.

Stepping out, we both look up at the Cotswolds stone Manor House. The enormous oak door is wide open, just willing us to enter. Eve then steps out onto the front porch which is surrounded by stone pillars. Even though inside I feel like I could combust with nervous excitement, I try desperately to keep it under check until we've had a proper look around.

We greet Eve affectionately, and then she makes us both turn round, looking at the grounds at the front of the house. "This house is set in twenty five acres of private land, all surrounded by a traditional Cotswolds stone boundary wall.  The nearest neighbours are half a mile away, with the small village being around another mile beyond that." She smiles warmly at us while I just grin stupidly breathing in the fresh air. "Ready to have a look around?"

Daniel takes off his sunglasses before placing them into the front of his t.shirt. "Definitely." He beams at me as he reaches for my hand. I take it gratefully, praying that this house isn't a disappointment.

"The current owners have asked me to apologise that it is not show home ready." Eve makes finger quotations in the air when she says show home ready. "But I made it clear that there was no need to worry as you aren't looking for a show home!"

We enter an enormous square reception  space, all conversation forgotten in a heartbeat. The staircase follows the edges of the right side of the huge space, turning halfway up to glide up the back of the area before turning away towards the bedrooms. The bannister is solid oak, the same as the front door, but between each bannister are glass panels, making the whole area seem bright and modern.